• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleaning out differentials

Natural Ice

NAXJA Forum User
What is the best way to clean all the crap out of the differentials. Someone said you could "probably just spray it down with brake cleaner" will this hurt anything or is there something better to use?

Natural Ice said:
What is the best way to clean all the crap out of the differentials. Someone said you could "probably just spray it down with brake cleaner" will this hurt anything or is there something better to use?
I have been told by many to use brake cleaner, and I am telling you to use brake cleaner. Worked great for me, and no problems.

keep in mind that break cleaner is hard on rubber and over time it may deterate the seals. but that is what i would use.

I've used el cheapo wally world wd-40 with good results

I used carb cleaner on mine it worked rather well.

Fenton Beech

If you use the brake cleaner (if its illegal in Cali, even better) make sure you go for a drive after your finished. That will put clean oil back where it belongs.

--Matt

Most folks I know use brake cleaner.

The FSM specifically says do NOT use brake cleaner.

Go figure.

This isn't my jeep i'm working on so I just want to be sure on this. If I spray brake cleaner into the diff in copious amounts (there's a hell of a 75w-90 milkshake in the front) it will all evaporate and isn't going to contaminate or break down the new oil? I cleaned the covers with it and thought it made them feel kind of gritty.

Eagle said:
Most folks I know use brake cleaner.

The FSM specifically says do NOT use brake cleaner.

Go figure.

What does the FSM say to use? Mopar Differential Cleaning Fluid #2745?

[seriously... opening the one up in the 2000 over the weekend, probably for the first time in its 80k-mile life]

Brake cleaner evaporates fast, have used quick start (ether) which also works well (but dangerous and makes a person dizzy). Brake cleaner seems to move the thick oil out of there quick. As opossed to other solvents, which often don´t work nearly as well. Problem with solvents, they are usually flammable, poison or don´t work well. Benzine, will give you cancer, carbon tet vapors are poison, petrolium distilates both cancer and poisones vapors, flourocarbons discontinued. Gas or ether explosive, when in a vapor or atomized. Kind of narrows the choices down some. Diesel doesn´t move thick oil very well.
Any other options?

I use the old fashion, bad for everything brake-clean. The more hazardous stuff in it, the better it works.

Back