• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moab is for sale?

Ludakris

NAXJA Forum User
My buddy just got back from Moab and said the Lions Back is for sale with some surrounding area and camp ground. All this for the small sum of $700K and change. So I figure with almost 1000 members, that's like $800 a piece....

Well then, I make the motion that NAXJA buys it. I'm good for my share.
Anybody else want to second it?
Dan.

TRNDRVR said:
Well then, I make the motion that NAXJA buys it. I'm good for my share.
Anybody else want to second it?
Dan.

I would. :D

We could set up the 'NAXJA Barracks' for lodging when we're visiting home away from home. :)

Are you guys for real or just kinda throwing around an idea? This could not only be a great headquarters during NAXJA events, but could reel in some cash when we're not using it. BTW I'm in.

Sounds like a great idea! But how big a hassle would it be having 1000 owners for one piece of property...... There'd be very little chance that everyone would ever be in total agreement with what to do with the property. But yer right, it'd be cool for a 4x4 club to own that property. I believe that same land owner owns Dump Bump - wonder if that's included in the Lion's Back property.......

YELLAHEEP said:
Sounds like a great idea! But how big a hassle would it be having 1000 owners for one piece of property...... There'd be very little chance that everyone would ever be in total agreement with what to do with the property. But yer right, it'd be cool for a 4x4 club to own that property. I believe that same land owner owns Dump Bump - wonder if that's included in the Lion's Back property.......

well, I think the way to do it is to devide it up like a grid, Then get some lawyers involved. You would technically own the piece of land, and have a "deed" to it, but would not be able to develop or anything like that. There are companies that do thing like this, I think Jack Daniels sells "land" to its customers, and you can buy property on the moon, so I think this would work out great. If this is what it would take to save "offroad" parks, then I think it should be done. I know a club has bought other parts of Moab because of the same reasons. And all of us are in other clubs, I am sure the money could be raised fairly easily by someone who has some experiance with this. Any retired realistate lawyers out there????

Ludakris said:
well, I think the way to do it is to devide it up like a grid
OK, I've got dibs on the 1st 6" of Lion's Back. That way, if any of you a$$holes pi$$ me off, I'll just put up a gate.

kid4lyf said:
OK, I've got dibs on the 1st 6" of Lion's Back. That way, if any of you a$$holes pi$$ me off, I'll just put up a gate.

:laugh:

Ludakris said:
My buddy just got back from Moab and said the Lions Back is for sale with some surrounding area and camp ground. All this for the small sum of $700K and change. So I figure with almost 1000 members, that's like $800 a piece....
Actually it would be $1,150 a person there is only 600 current members

RS2477 would have a little to say about putting up that gate.

Been a bit slow on the uptake on this, but here's my $0.02 regardless...

YELLAHEEP said:
Sounds like a great idea! But how big a hassle would it be having 1000 owners for one piece of property...... There'd be very little chance that everyone would ever be in total agreement with what to do with the property.

Run it like a business. You've got an elected board responsible to the shareholders, and shareholders with the ability to place a vote of no confidence in the board based on a two-thirds quorum. This way everyone can hold an equal stake (one share) and vote, executive power can be maintained based on the shareholders' vote, but executive power can't be abused as long as a clear majority of the shareholders disagree with the board's decisions. Not perfect and certainly up for debate, but probably usable as a framework for further consideration if we're really serious about this.

But yer right, it'd be cool for a 4x4 club to own that property.

I'd like to get the specifics worked out a bit more first, but I'm definitely interested in the idea.

MJR said:
The current folks there lease the land.

This right, all they are selling is the rights to the lease. It is a 99 year lease, or just short of there.

hinkley

I vote we buy it/lease it and then:

- sell the obstacle to Disney and let them paint Simba's head above it on the rock...
- lets take all 99 years and cut Crazy Horses likeness in the rock...
- lets carve the founding fathers of NAXJA in the stone, then Nay can say he actually IS on a trail/obstacle.

ummm. I'm full of good ideas.

Back