• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARRA Alert: Yellowstone Snowmobile Comment Deadline and Roadless Extension

Ed A. Stevens

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
ARRA wants to thank the thousands of members who sent in comments on the Forest Service’s proposed OHV rule—you all are making a difference in preserving recreational access!! The Forest Service will be reviewing all comments over the next 4-6 weeks and will be developing the final rule, which should be issued sometime this winter. ARRA will keep you posted.

Do you have more to say about recreational issues? You’re in luck—there are two more comment periods that are currently open that need your attention. The National Park Service has issued a proposed rule allowing snowmobiles in Yellowstone. That comment period closes next Monday, September 20th. To read more and submit your comments, click here.

And the comment period for the proposed changes to the Roadless Rule has been extended until November 15th. So for those of you who already submitted your comments—thanks! For those who thought you were running out of time, you still have time! Click Here

Re: BRC Alert: Yellowstone Snowmobile Comment Deadline

***** BRC ALERT ***** BRC ALERT ***** BRC ALERT ***** BRC ALERT *****

Dear subscriber:

Your comments are urgently needed regarding the Environmental Assessment (EA)
on Winter Management of Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks!

On August 20, 2004 the National Park Service released the Draft Environmental
Assessment (EA) for a temporary plan and regulations to guide winter use
management of Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks during the 2004-2005
winter season. The Park Service is accepting comments until midnight
September 20th.

To comment, just use the BlueRibbon Coalition?s prepared letter at:

http://capwiz.com/share/mail/oneclick_compose/?alertid=6372376

Thank you for your help in this process!

Sincerely,
Jack Welch, President
BlueRibbon Coalition

Closing Note: Our legal action on the Winter recreation issue in Yellowstone
and Grant Teton National Parks is continuing before Judge Bremmer in
Cheyenne, Wyoming. This legal action may have an effect on the EA process we
are asking for your help with. Please visit the BlueRibbon Website at
www.saveyellowstonenationalpark.com for the latest details on all of the
issues related to the future of snowmobile access to these parks.

***** END ALERT ***** END ALERT ***** END ALERT ***** END ALERT *****
You are receiving this email because you are currently
subscribed to a BlueRibbon Coalition email list. To remove
yourself from this list, go to this link:
https://www.sharetrails.org/emaillist/unsubscribe.cfm

CHEYENNE, Wyo. — A federal judge on Friday struck down a ban on snowmobiles (search) in Yellowstone (search) and Grand Teton (search) national parks, calling it a "prejudged, political" move that sought to exclude the vehicles from all national parks. U.S. District Judge Clarence Brimmer ruled that the Clinton-era ban was invalid because it did not involve adequate public participation and failed to follow federal law. His decision could clear the way for new rules that allow the machines.

The rule was "the product of a prejudged, political decision to ban snowmobilesset to take effect last winter, was set aside in early 2003 by the park service to settle a lawsuit filed by snowmobile makers. Under the agreement, new rules were drafted to allow a limited number of snowmobiles inside the parks.

Attorneys for snowmobile manufacturers, winter resorts and other tourism-related ventures asked a federal judge last month to permanently lift the ban so businesses could have peace of mind about their survival.

Glenn said:
CHEYENNE, Wyo. — A federal judge on Friday struck down a ban on snowmobiles (search) in Yellowstone (search) and Grand Teton (search) national parks, calling it a "prejudged, political" move that sought to exclude the vehicles from all national parks. U.S. District Judge Clarence Brimmer ruled that the Clinton-era ban was invalid because it did not involve adequate public participation and failed to follow federal law. His decision could clear the way for new rules that allow the machines.

The rule was "the product of a prejudged, political decision to ban snowmobilesset to take effect last winter, was set aside in early 2003 by the park service to settle a lawsuit filed by snowmobile makers. Under the agreement, new rules were drafted to allow a limited number of snowmobiles inside the parks.

Attorneys for snowmobile manufacturers, winter resorts and other tourism-related ventures asked a federal judge last month to permanently lift the ban so businesses could have peace of mind about their survival.

The question Glenn, is what do you think about it...?

red91inWA said:
The question Glenn, is what do you think about it...?
I am against keeping people out of the public lands. Some restrictions on use that provide access with responsible use are fine. The problem usually comes up in defining whos view of "responsible use" is used. My stance is usually that if I am not burning petro, I am not going. :)

Glenn said:
I am against keeping people out of the public lands. Some restrictions on use that provide access with responsible use are fine. The problem usually comes up in defining whos view of "responsible use" is used. My stance is usually that if I am not burning petro, I am not going. :)

they interveiwed a guy that said he got 50% of his business from snowmobile rentals... He implied that he took a beating before, but sounded estatic that they are opening it up again.

No doubt. It is his business and income. Hell, I would be happy too. I hope this can be a trend.........

Back