• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbe - lift questions/recommendation

steveareno

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to NAXJA (please help and be gentle) and have resently purchased a 99 XJ sport. I did research and decided on the 99. I am now doing research on the "right" suspension lift. I have searched your website and talked to vendors and manufactors.
This is a DD and I want to lift between 3-4", allowing 30-31" tires. It will be heavy with front and rear iron bumpers, front winch and rocker slides. It will be used mostly for highway and then recreation in sand, mud and hunting trails.
Talked to Dirk, DPG, helpful and suggested OME 934, rear leafs with JCXL and SYE. Talked to my 4x4 mechanic, he said no, it would result in no lift with that weight. I talked about RE, he said "crap", recommended Fabtech.
Any experince addressing the following would be appreciated:
Will the OEM 3"" with extra leaf provide 3" lift with added weight?
Will OEM hold up and not sag?
Who had experience with a 3"-31/2 RE on a daily driver?
Any experience with Fabtech?
Doing it right once, regardless of cost, will be better/cheaper than doing it several times.
thanks, Steveareno

to clear 30's or 31's you can keep your suspention semi stock, see this post:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35047
it really wouldnt take all that much sawzal to fit 30" tires (im stuffing 235/75 ~ 29" on a stock suspention with no trimming)
i really wouldnt lift 3~4 inches for 31" tires... seems like a waste to me.

as for all the weight, if you search for the threads where people have sleved their unibody "frame rails" in 3/16" steel... there is some weight...
there was also a thread in modified tech asking the weight ov everyone's vehicle.

an option to overcome the weight is to get ACOS and ajust them as needed. and buy a longer/shorter rear shackle...

good luck with the jeep and welcome to the light side (XJ Owner)

oh yeah and SEARCH
see this post as well:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7617

Last edited:
Mine is a 2000, and although it's not a daily driver, I still drive it around town and take it when I've got more that 1 other person to shuttle around so we're not all crammed in a little car. I did the 3.5" RE superflex w/ leaf packs. I got 16" KJ wheels (to fit bigger brakes down the line) and a set of used BFG 265/70's (about 30's) A/T. Cost me all the parts and some food to get some help to install it. I also have a locker in the rear, and I'm very happy with my lift, and can go just about anywhere I want. Places I can't go, I dont have the guts to go there yet anyway, so that solves that.

You will have to do an SYE (there are differences between the two available transfer cases, let us know what you have to help better), I used JB conversions.

Are you planning on making the bumpers/rock rails or buying them from someone? I had RockRoad Outfitters, but later sold them for JKS SuperNerfs. I've still got stock bumpers, but there are a lot of good ones out there.

If I were you, don't listen to your mechanic about FabTech. There are some vendors here on the forum that know what we do and own XJ's themselves, who can help you track down the right stuff. As well as tons of experience with the good, bad, and ugly.

Do a little looking around, and asking questions. Go on a few runs with the Sierra Chapter (your post shows you're fron NorCal) and see what people have done and see what you like and don't like.

Good Luck!

-Marisha

steveareno said:
...Talked to Dirk, DPG, helpful and suggested OME 934, rear leafs with JCXL and SYE. Talked to my 4x4 mechanic, he said no, it would result in no lift with that weight. I talked about RE, he said "crap", recommended Fabtech...
All of the rigs I've seen so far with OME, Piece togethers, or AAL's have been significantly lower or sagged than RE kits. I've run 2 different sizes of RE kits, so far, they are not crap. Do a RE kit and be done with it, first time, complete, period. RE kits also run higher than advertised. A 3.5 RE6030 kit will run 31" on stock rims with NO trimming, perform well, and look great.

3lift.jpg

steveareno said:
...Who had experience with a 3"-31/2 RE on a daily driver?
Doing it right once, regardless of cost, will be better/cheaper than doing it several times.
thanks, Steveareno
This is my 2000 DD, and even with the RE shocks at that lift, it was solid, freeway and city. It was an easy install, everything comes at one time (no waiting to get ahold of this or that), the pricing/capability ratio can't be beat, and it's further buildable from there. Surprise of surprises, with a T-case drop, 8.25 rear end, I had no driveline vibes.

For a do it once and use it, RE is going to be hard to beat. I've since moved on to the RE6200 5.5 kit with 33"s and it's still a great DD, and an animal on the trails.

--ron

Captain Ron said:
I've since moved on to the RE6200 5.5 kit with 33"s and it's still a great DD, and an animal on the trails

--ron

So do you still have your 3.5" RE lift, and if so, are you willing to sell it?

:)

My XJHelp web pages are old, older than your XJ, but the basics of lift considerations are still valid: http://members.aol.com/Stvns/XJhelp1.html

On consideration of lift height and sagging under increased weight, is that sustained lift demands a higher spring rate and a stiffer ride. This is the drawback to the excellent riding OME leafs, sustained lift after adding weight and extended wheel travel trail abuse.

Once you identify what you want to do, the usage and capability, search and ask questions and make the educated choice.

The RE kits are good for entry level, and for advanced buildups, as are other vendor products (and there are many quality NAXJA Vendors to call on for lift advice).

Thanks for the replies. I hope will chime-in in regards to OME suspensions.

Capt. Ron, thanks for the picture, looks great. Is that with the RE 3.5? What size tires?

steveareno said:
Thanks for the replies. I hope will chime-in in regards to OME suspensions.

Capt. Ron, thanks for the picture, looks great. Is that with the RE 3.5? What size tires?
RE6030, 3.5" , 31" x 10.50" on stock rims.

--ron

I a little while back had the same question when i started out. People told me RE is the best way to go get a 3 inch lift...and get some bigger tires. Also what some people recommended to me was old man emu. I guess that is the place to go pricey but the best!. hope that helps some oem suspensions tend to sag quickly so ive heard

I have RE stuff but ome makes quality stuff. if you want flexy stuff get RE. if you want expadition stuff go with ome. find a dealer for both. ome usually has 2 different springs ( heavy & soft). my .02

Thanks for the comments and picutes.
Any additional comments on OME 934 and JC1a+XCL???

Your 4x4 mechanic is clueless if he tells you RE is crap. Time to look for a new mechanic. But that's beside the point.

OME is great stuff, but expensive. For the stock XJer looking for a slight lift, with 30" tires, who wants it to stay this way for many years, OME is probably the way to go.

On the other hand, you explained that you want 3-4" of lift. My suggestion is to select an RE or Rusty's kit that contains everything and go that route. Or you can pick and choose parts from many manufacturers and create a hybrid lift.

Here's what I have right now, and I'm very happy with everything: RE1463 leafs (4.75" lift) with 3/4" lift shackle, Rusty's 4.5" coils (5.25" lift), OME long travel shocks all around, Rusty's heavy duty adj. track bar and frame bracket, RE drop brackets with stock control arms. So I have a little over 5" of lift, but it rides great on the highway, handles well, and flexes great off road (With the JKS discos disconnected).

Wow.... I have a stock 90 xj and am running 30"x9.50"x15" on Crome 15x8 pos off set 5 star wheels no rubbing? fabbing the lift to clear 33"/35" on full with d60's custom long armset up.. Northern Extreme Customs!! Alaska!! Geterdone!!

Back