• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad front axle u-joint cause tire shimmy?

xjfish

NAXJA Forum User
I have had front end vibes for a long time now. No DW but rough vibes. I'm sure it needs an alignment pretty bad but I have been putting it off until I finished lifting it. (i know, bad idea) Passenger side D30 front tire was worn very unevenly and whole vehicle shakes a little at highway speeds. All u-joints on the rig are newer or appear to be in good shape except the front passenger axle u-joint witch has a lot of slop in it. Cause of vibes in 2wd? Thought I would only affect 4wd maybe with a clunk or something... can i put this off or does it need to be replaced NOW? 4 wheel drive works fine.

Yes it can affect shimmy. After all, it's always turning, even when it isn't under power. If it drags, catches, etc. it will have an influence. Also don't discount the possibility that the one on the other side, while looking tighter, might be dry and too tight. Jack up the wheel, turn the steering to full lock, and then rotate the wheel to check for binding.

Thanks. I've already checked for binding and couldn't feel anything besides the brakes dragging. I guess I might as well have this checked/out replaced when I get the alignment done/new tires mounted. I would do it myself but I just haven't had the time lately and the vibes are driving me nuts... Install cost? I think I'll buy the joint from a parts store to have it on hand.

I called around for estimates a while back to see how much it would cost to have the u joints replaced in the front axle..D30..(3 days before jeep jamboree.) the cost ranged from 300 to 600 bucks....... compared to the 22.50 i spent on the u joints at napa... um do it yourself and save some serious cash. its pretty easy.... 5 lugs to remove, 2 bolts for the brake caliper, and 3 bolts to remove the hub assembly.... check that too, i found mine were pretty worn, 114.00 each at napa..... and pull the shaft.... take that shaft to a vise and get the old joints out... press the new ones in (find a socket that fits on the caps), and press with a vise/ shop press.... and your done... reassemble. while your there check that brake thats sticking... That's where my shimmy's were coming from, bad joints and bearings.... and the whole thing was finished in time for JJUSA -Andy

Wow $300-600 bucks does sound high. Well I guess I'll get everything else aligned,buy a new trackbar and hope that solves the wobbles and then try to find time to replace that u-joint. Kinda sounds like a PITA expecially since the hubs probably haven't been off in over 160K. I've never done this at all before but a FSM and NAXJA should help :) After taking another look I've decided it needs to get done before it fails and breaks something. This prolly explains the random 2wd axle bind i couldn't figure out before also...

xjfish said:
Wow $300-600 bucks does sound high. Well I guess I'll get everything else aligned,buy a new trackbar and hope that solves the wobbles and then try to find time to replace that u-joint. Kinda sounds like a PITA expecially since the hubs probably haven't been off in over 160K. I've never done this at all before but a FSM and NAXJA should help :) After taking another look I've decided it needs to get done before it fails and breaks something. This prolly explains the random 2wd axle bind i couldn't figure out before also...

When you do get around to it, do a search here and/or post back, and I'm sure you'll get all sorts of handy tips on how to get rusty hubs off, etc. It can be a PITA but it's doable in various ways.

Back