• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coating the tub (RUST!)

gcam

NAXJA Forum User
I've found a rust hole on the pside floor of my Xj, and some bad rust starting above the cat. I'm stripping the interior and taking it to a body shop this morning. I strongly suspect taht the rust on the pside floor is due to snow and salt coming in with my wife's boots. I've got good floor mats, but it's fairly common for the carpet to get wet during the winter.

Once fixed, I want to seal and protect the floor from the inside. I'm looking for ideas/opinions on the following:

1) do at home bedliner (Herculiner) for the floor, then put the insulation and carpets back.

2) POR15 for the floor, then insulation and carpets.

3) Rubber mat in place of the carpet. I haven't been able to find them, but would like to get some if anybody knows where. I've heard that government vehicles came with these.

Thanks,

Geoff

I am in the same situation. kinda. Mine was alittle more involved than just over the cat...
www.wetpaintfilms.com/heep2jeep

there are some pictures of the recovery...the ones of the rust are still being developed...

I am planning hurculiner in the inside, then putting the carpet back in sections so that if it gets wet or dirty again the carpet can be removed with out taking all the seats and consoles and plastic out. and the floor can be washed with water, or hose or scrubbed or what have you to clean it out again so we don't have rusting problems...

the other thing i am going to do is paint the under side with Farm implement paint we have that on our tractor and it's really thick and strong.
after I paint that with the implement paint i am going to coat any places that might get hit with rocks with roofing tar.. so that the paint is not chipped off.

that's my plan... HOpe it gives you some ideas.

from what I have heard, the passenger side rust is a very common thing. My 90 has 2 spots about the size of a quarter. Once they are repaired, I plan on Durabak for the entire interior. I have the rubber mat, its just a rubber mat with the same insulation as the carpet. So water still gets trapped. I have been checking out Boat supplies for some floor drains..

I'm curently working on that...

The veh is from NC (no salt and no snow) but the
pass side following the muffler up to the fire wall is rusted.

I'm going to weld plates over the holes and cover the interior with undercoating.

I found the floor matts, seem to hold the moisture in the padding. In the winter the padding rarley has a chance to dry out. I got in the habit of pulling the floor matts up periodically and giving the carpet/padding a chance to dry out.
Also found a good use for old newspaper, when the carpet is really wet, lay down a thick layer of newspaper, soaks up a lot of water.
I painted my floors with Hamerite. Knocked off the worst of the loose stuff with a wire wheel, cleaned it well with a good solvent for prep. They have a newer water based, paint over rust, paint, that dries fast. Hasn´t been on long enough for a true test yet. But Hamerite has a good name for durability. Also painted a couple of tow hooks with the same paint, been on there for 8-9 months, they still look good.

Back