• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bts????help

1989laredoxj

NAXJA Forum User
I was searching for my younger brother he decided he wanted my 1989 jeep cherokee laredo. And I came across a site saying that if the BTS was operating the jeep would still start and run just wouldnt have overdrive. As far as I know I have never had overdrive and I have never checked this. So my question is, Is their one in the 1989 cherokee? If so where is it located?

I'm not even sure what a BTS is. But the AW4 automatic transmission is controlled by the "TCU" or transmission control unit. The overdrive on this is simply the fourth or top gear. If when you are driving it and you shift from "3" to "OD", you feel a shift, then you have your overdrive. There is also a lockup torque converter, which should come into effect in third and fourth gear. It can sometimes be hard to distinguish in this transmission betweern shifts and lockups, especially when you're driving normally, because the lockup can occur before the last shift, and when it's working right, it's pretty smooth and free of fuss. I was never quite sure with my old 87 whether it was unlocking between third and fourth. If you take it out on a deserted road and start up briskly from zero, you should feel the shifts from 1-2, 2-3,3-4 and then when you let up on the gas a little, the lockup, which will feel like a fourth upshift, and they should show on the tachometer if you have one.

bts is battery temperature sensor..... I have a auto tranny. I can feel the shift from 1-2 2-3 but I dont feel the shift from 3-4... this doesn't mean it doesnt occur just means I havent noticed it. When Pin the gas it accelerates to 2500 - 3000rmp and thats it theirs no kick down nothing. But their is a kick down cable.

Ain't no battery temp sensor in an '89. Look elsewhere for the problem.

If there's no kickdown, and the cable isn't broken or disconnected, try adjusting it. It's very easy. Engine off. Tranny in Park. On the sheath at the throttle body end, there's a big button, sort of a flat-sided circle. Push that button in, and push the inner sheath all the way back away from the throttle body. Now just pull the throttle open to full throttle. The sheath will pull out to its correct position. That's all.

Back