• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gettin rid of factory alarm

Imjosh

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 laredo that came with a factory alarm the little one button remote job that locks and unlocks the doors. But i want to get rid of the dang thing it's just a hassle. Every time I dissconnet the battery the thing always wants to be a pain in my rear and not work right. How do I go about ridding my jeep of this. I have tried looking around under the dash and whatnot but i have no clue what im looking for or anything. Thanks in advance

Are you absolutely sure that it is a factory alarm? I believe that the factory keyless of that era would be the kind you have to point at the middle top of the windshield, as it was an infra-red transmitter/reciever unit. If not it is more likely an aftermarket keyless... I install these at work, i'm checking my information on 92 cherokees to see if i cqan be more help to you. I'll post again when i have more information!

Edit: 1992 was the first year that they used the rf transmitter/reciever units.... i am inserting a picture...does it look like this?
1button.gif

If its a factory security system it's well integrated with door locks, lights, ignition and hood release. There's been significant discussion here related to disabling the system... I suggest you do a search.

BTW: The 91's had an IR transmitter/receiver with the bulb in the overhead console. They changed to a dealer programmable unit some time after '91.

Good luck.

i couldn't find any mor einfo off this site, but my guess is that it is a plug-in box type design. I have dealt with this stuff in hundreds of cars, but none of these have been an older xj... like bchulett said, search on here someone has got to know- if i could stick my head under the dash of a 92' im sure i could tell you what to do in a jiff... good luck!

Back