• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coolant leak

scottsxj

NAXJA Forum User
this is a simple question, but my jeep is a leaking some antifreeze and i dont know where to satrt looking for a leak. Are there any "trouble" spots that tend to leak fluid on the cherokees. Thanks for any info and help

scott

Kind of vague. WHere is it leaking from? Parket it with a large piece of cardboard underneath to locate the leak. If front and center, check the water pump; could be the weep hole.
GAB

Not to be a smart ass, but I would suggest you park the Jeep long enough for it to develop a puddle and coolant. Then look above the puddle. :)

It can really be anywhere....radiator, hoses, hose clamps, thermostat housing, water pump, coolant bottle (the pre-'91 XJs with the closed cooling system are notorious for cracked coolant bottles), etc.

Good luck.

yeah well see the thing is its dripping down onto the plastic peice under the bumper (what ever its called) and running over to the side. Im thinking maybe something connected to the radiator but its kinda hard to tell where, with every thing else in the way. Just trying to make it easier to find, plus i dont feel like crawling under there right now cause its raining.

The only downside to that is if you still have that barrier stuff on the bottom of the engine compartment that they come with new.
I would wait till I shut it off and with flashlight in hand start looking/listening for leaks. Places to check include the front bottom of the water pump, there is a small 1/8" hole under the snout of the pump, when the packing starts to go thats the first place it leaks. Second place is the thermostat housing on the top front of the head. Third is the joints between the aluminum core and the plastic tanks. Also feel your passenger side floor, if the heater core is leaking you will find the floor wet with coolant but you should also be able to REALLY smell it.
Look around the joint between the head and the top of the block, it could leak there. Also the freeze plugs under the headers. There is also a freeze plug in the back of the block but it is covered by the bell housing. Pressure cap can also leak, does the system build up pressure, can you feel the pressure when you first shut the engine down and how fast does it go down. Usually if the pressure holds for 20 min or so when it's shut off it is almost guaranteed to be the water pump packing, that generally only leaks when the motor/water pump is turning over till it gets really bad then it will leak all the time.
You can also add UV dye to the coolant and look for it with a black light.

Back