• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HUB Urgent!!!

arctic440

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
I was using a Hub puller to pull my hub off the knuckle and the hub seperated from the mounting flange the one with the three 12 point bolts. Did I wreck the hub
Thanks for your quick responses
Dave

There have been/are folks around who will tell you that you can reassemble that and keep running. Personally, I figure it's a ruined hub, and you've figure out exactly why I won't use a hub puller or slide hammer on D30 hubs.

Den has it right, you need to put the bolts back in from the backside, and pound it out. I have a set of sacrificial bolts for this, and they're well mushroomed from the Ford wrench.

ChiXJeff

Yes, the hub is ruined. Remove however you can, and replace.

Using a puller from the front is NOT the correct method for removing these hubs.

thanks for all the info guys. I knew the hub puller wasnt right but hitting the bolts didnt do anything. However the puller did break the "rust" seal between the hub and knuckle. Got everyting back together and she is good to go. I was replacing a u-joint thats why I had to go through all this trouble.
Thanks for all the help I really apreciated it.
Talk to you later,
Dave

Believe in the Ford wrench...... I've done front u-joints on 2 XJs and a YJ here for friends, all with over 120,000 miles. It worked on all 3, although 1 did take some convincing.

Matthew Currie said:
Just for future reference, you can still use a hub puller or slide hammer and avoid this problem if you put the axle nut back on finger-tight, and pull the hub with the axle in.

That may work, but I very much doubt that it does much for bearing longevity.

I must be lucky because both of my XJs hubs came off cleanly with a hub puller with no ill effects. Neither one was frozen though. By the way in aviation lingo a Ford wrench is a monkey wrench (named after the inventor of such) and your Ford wrench is a 16 to 80 oz calibration tool. lol

Here is my corner of the world his "Ford wrench" is a "2-pound Ford carburetor adjusting tool."

HossHoffer said:
By the way in aviation lingo a Ford wrench is a monkey wrench (named after the inventor of such) and your Ford wrench is a 16 to 80 oz calibration tool. lol

I caught part of a show on the History Channel about tools, and they mentioned the history of the Monkey Wrench. Unfortunately, it escapes me at the moment.

Any, they're both such PRECISION tools...... :angel:

I'm off for a week of wrenching!

ChiXJeff

M12 x 1.75 pitch x 100mm long bolts are the hub beaters I use, along with the largest tool you can swing cleanly. Don't kill your steering in the process!

LOL I got my butt whupped by my hubs the first time, even bought a $70 slide hammer kit from NAPA in the process, and fried a hole in the dust shield with the blue wrench when I hit the 02 lever that didn't help except to create more stress. After a couple days pissing around in the hot sun, Macgyvr mentioned those bolts :viking: I used an axe to hit mine a few times and the hubs popped right out.

I sanded the mating surfaces really well and lubed them up with Mobil 1 grease... anymore all I gotta do is turn the bolts loose and lean the axe up against the fender. Those rascals LEAP out of there into my hands. I'm working on training mine to remind me to put the dust shields on before torquing the bolts down. and putting the caliper on.

HTH and have fun. Hubs are our friend.

My opinion..............any hub that needs attention gets replaced,whole assembly............You can rebuild the older ones,but pain in the @ss.........I have had to use a 40 ton press to get the hub out of the bearings..........not worth it............the prices for the whole assembly, hub and all ,aftermarket has come down...............I take out the 3 12 point bolts that mount the hub assembly to the knuckle and tap(POUND) on outer hub with a 5 lbs sledge out ward..............it destroys the hub,but most likely it does not matter...........you are going to put a new assembly with sealed bearings anyway............................:D

Back