• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ Brakes

pmeier

NAXJA Forum User
Heres the short story. AT 60K miles Jeep replaced rotors for no cost due to recall 879 / rust pitting. At 104K I had to replace rotors with local dealership in Cols., Caldwell Chrysler. $600 later, Chrysler tells me 40K is all to expect out of XJ rotors. Dealership disagreed. What's up with that? Will be soon visiting junkyards for rotors. Other XJ was a 95 and it went 70K or so before rotor replacement. Told Chrysler they get no more business from me!

I have used the import aftermarket rotors with no probs,pretty cheap I would say as in price........I have stacks of rotors from the recall I kept.no rusting in AZ...spares for the lifetime of my Jeeps..................:D

Why are you buying factory ones? Even if you had to replace your pads and rotors at 40k taking that to the dealership is just asking to get reamed. If you can do it yourself then go for it. Just buy some after market ones. You could probably buy the very best aftermarket stock replacement rotors and pads for well under $600. I just bought every piece to my rear brakes, which usually costs more than the front rotors and pads all for something around $150 and got really decent stuff, most of it was import stuff from italy but was top quality, Stay away from the chinese house brand ones that they sell at most auto parts stores, poor quality steel.

Or Warn hub conversion??

It replaces those crappy 'composite' rotors with Wrangler full cast. Gone are the rusting problems and warping. Just thought i'd add that since is not much more than that $600 price tag just for the brakes!!

Do the Brake pads on the 97 have alignment pins or not? The dealer offers two pads options--pins or no.

What brands do XJ drivers prefer? Anyone use EBC?

Any info. would be most appreciated

Back