• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tom Woods SYE Time??

XJourney

NAXJA Forum User
How long did it take you to install a Tom Woods SYE? I am planning on installing mine before I go to a wedding on saturday so I have about 6 hours. That should be plenty of time right. Don't worry, we are taking my wifes car to the wedding so if I am not done it would be Ok.

Any tips would be appricated. What RTV do you use? I normally use black Hi-temp.

When I did my first output shaft replacement it took me about 5 hours with the T-case under the Jeep. The second time it took me 2.5. There are a couple of good write-ups floating around for the 231 and I'd imagine the 242(but honestly haven't looked) that explain how everything comes apart quite nicely. Also, I emphasize to you the importance of a GOOD pair of external snap-ring pliers. They are key to a quick and painless installation.

Ary

^ this man speaks the truth. with the correct tools, it's a simple procedure. took me around 4 or 5 hours when i did mine. and i'm by no means mechanically gifted.

if i had to do it again, it would go much quicker. i just took my time to make sure i did everything right.

You will need a 12 point 10mm socket for the XC cover bolt and a HD lock ring pliers. Do not try to use a lock ring pliers with replaceable tips, you will break them. I like the type that has a serrated nose.
See the link- this type of pliers is not commonly available, you may need to look around for them and it’s worth the search.

Lock ring pliers
http://www.mytoolstore.com/sk/sk03191.html

It took four hours to do the conversion but I had everything I needed before starting. If you have a wedding to go to, do it on another day, complications and delays almost most always occur!
You will also need to check the rear u-joint/ pinion angle and probably install axle shims to set the correct angle adding more time to the process.

I like using Permatex Ultra-Gray or Ultra-Blue sealant on the case. You do not need the high temp type.

Snap-on Ring Pliers - Check
Full 12 point socket set- Check

What about the oil pump? I have heard of a couple of people breaking them off. Is it really that hard? Or is it just something to watch for?

I will do it out of the rig. So it will be a bench model :rof:

Ultra Grey or Ultra Blue permatex Huh. I will use one of those instead.

XJourney said:
I will do it out of the rig. So it will be a bench model :rof:

why? its just a waste of more time pulling the case out. if you need a SYE you probably have a lift and there should be plenty of room to work under the jeep.

its also nice to have a computer nearby so you can look anything up if you get confused.

I agree, 3.5 hours first time out with sh*&%ty snap ring pliers, in the truck. Would have been faster with the right tool, but no reason to remove the case...

xj-grin said:
I agree, 3.5 hours first time out with sh*&%ty snap ring pliers, in the truck. Would have been faster with the right tool, but no reason to remove the case...
yup. bench? bench, you don't need no stinkin' bench. don't even need a garage. or driveway. any parking lot will do

sye_install_03.jpg

I thought that I would just pull it because Tom Woods suggest that you remove the NP 242 for the SYE conversion but not to remove the NP231. No idea why, bigger case I guess.

Plus it is suppost to down pour on Saturday. I maybe from Washington but I still don't like working in an inch of running water. :cry: And it won't stop raining till May 05. It cost to be soo green.

Back