• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust burnt connector

copperhead

NAXJA Member #984
Well, I was under the '87 Laredo today PB blasting the suspension bolts in preperation for a new lift when I noticed a connector on the exhaust just before the catalytic convertor. It is a 4 pin connector (marked PED and ABCD) with another 2pin in the wire wrap with it. The 2 pin is not connected, but the 4 pin wire goes over to the transmission bellhousing. I believe it is the CPS wire. The wire then travels into a larger harness and accross the firewal towards the MAP sensor.

the 4 pin connector is burnt towards the back as is the outer wire sheathing. The internal wires look OK, but I don't want to chance it. Can these connectors be purchased seperately or do I need that part of the harness? What damage might have occured?

The Jeep starts up without too many problems. It does want to rev at about 3,000 rpm's for the first 20-30 seconds every once and a while.

Thanks for any help,
-Copperhead

The connector can be purchased. I have seen this connector on my Jeep but can not remember what it was for, it's not the CPS, the CPS has three wires.

Thanks rws,

I have tomorrow off and am going to check around. I haven't been able to find a factory service manual on line and the Haynes manual realy is lacking in most respects.

-Copperhead

Just cut off the bad connectors and go to any GMC/Chevy dealer and ask for one and the required terminals. They are GM connectors...

Well, I went to the local dealer today (Jeep/GM dealerships are owned by the same person). The parts guy said that they couldn't help me with the wires unless I wanted a complete new engine harness. As for just the connector, I was told it looked like a common GM connector, but they want the part number before they will look for it. Anyone know the part number?

Went to two local salvage yards and found plenty of 2 and 3 post connectors, but no 4 post.

Here is a pic of the part in question. Black/yellow and Black/white go to the trannym the other is a Black/blue in a loop. The black/blue side is the one that the outer housing got burnt on.

Set42_01.jpg

Copperhead

Update,

The wiring turned out to be for the reverse lights. I still haven't found a replacement connector, but managed to patch up the current one and is seems to be working. I plan on keeping my eyes out for a proper connector.

I have found all sorts of connectors under the hood that weren't attached to anything. Now I am even more curious about what this '87 doesn't have.

-Copperhead

copperhead said:
Update,

The wiring turned out to be for the reverse lights. I still haven't found a replacement connector, but managed to patch up the current one and is seems to be working. I plan on keeping my eyes out for a proper connector.

I have found all sorts of connectors under the hood that weren't attached to anything. Now I am even more curious about what this '87 doesn't have.

-Copperhead

Try Pep Boys. They have a decent selection of GM weatherpack connectors. Much better than Autozone, Checkers, etc.

There's a downloadable 1988XJ FSM here. Should be similar to 1987:
http://natecovington.com/jeep/service_manuals.htm

I have seen these connectore at parts stores also or just buy a generic one and make your own. Go to the bone yard and cut one off. I ripped an entire engine harness off a pick-pull vehicle for $5 and have used many connectors, mainly to make test leads to check sensors.

Back