• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box year compatibilty

IIRC most all use the same box. I have a91 and a94 "in stock" and they are identical. Too bad I don't need two! Check at west texas off road. Lots of intel there. BTW their steering pump mod REALLY works don't do it unless you need it!

Hang on there we are going from white line to white line with a tiny turn of the wheel!!!

The steering boxes are the same from our early (Renix-era, up to 1990) XJs to the later ones, with two minor differences: The mid-90's steering boxes have less power assist, meaning you get way better road feel- I prefer this to our over-boosted steering boxes. The other minor issue is the change in connector on the hose (different style seal surface)- I can't rememebr exactly how this works/year of change, but some owners report just buying a high pressure hose to match the year of the steering box, and installing that to solve thread/seal design issues.

icalled the guys at west texas, he told me to get one pre-96 , something about beenin stronger. i have a 96 and replaced mine with a 93, also did the upgrade in pressure and added a cooler for the ps and it works great. i can wheel with one finger now,{not recommened though}.

I don't think the early box is a stronger box, I think he meant it provides more boost. Which is what 4xBob referred to. I agree with 4xBob -- the early boxes have too much boost, and zero road feel. I much prefer the later boxes.

There is one additional difference. In the later years, all the steering boxes have a 14:1 ratio. In the early years, the stock ratio was 14:1 but the off-road package used a box with a 17:1 ratio. I got one of those when I put a used box into my '88 Comanche.

It sucks. In addition to being over-boosted like all the early boxes, it also adds almost a full turn of the steering wheel when going from full left to full right.

Eagle said:
I don't think the early box is a stronger box, I think he meant it provides more boost. Which is what 4xBob referred to. I agree with 4xBob -- the early boxes have too much boost, and zero road feel. I much prefer the later boxes.

There is one additional difference. In the later years, all the steering boxes have a 14:1 ratio. In the early years, the stock ratio was 14:1 but the off-road package used a box with a 17:1 ratio. I got one of those when I put a used box into my '88 Comanche.

It sucks. In addition to being over-boosted like all the early boxes, it also adds almost a full turn of the steering wheel when going from full left to full right.

Hey, beggers can't be choosers.

The best one to get is one out of a '97-'99 Grand Cherokee. 3 turns lock to lock, less boost, excellent road feel. I put one from a 98 GC in my 96 country and it steers like a bimmer!

Lawn Cher' said:
Hey, beggers can't be choosers.
True, and I remain grateful to be able to keep the truck in one lane on the highway. But for someone who is actually paying money to buy a box -- might as well know what you're buying and get the configuration that'll work best for you.

Back