• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ muffler question

fiatslug87

NAXJA Forum User
Is the muffler on an '89 long bed MJ offset inlet, center outlet? I've had a '90 short bed MJ since new and it's center inlet, offset outlet. I'm now replacing the one on my '89 and it's the opposite, it has been changed by the previous owner, was it done correctly? Thanks for the help.

Also, what's a good on-line place to get a catalytic converter?
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Should be just like your shortbed, center-in and offset-outlet. I had one just like yours that the PO replaced on my MJ (backwards). Look for the orientation marks on the top of the muffler body (A <-> B), then look at the slip of paper that comes with the muffler to see which letter stands for inlet and outlet. Common sense would say that A is in and B is out, but it was the opposite on the one(s) I've bought.
It'll fit either way, but if it's backwards, it'll tweak the tailpipe over just enough to cause it to hit the rear springpack/hanger intermittently.
HTH,
Jeff

Back