• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cage mounted rear shocks

cagedxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to relocate my rear shocks through the floor onto the cage. Has anyone done this yet, and if so any suggestions or pictures?

Cant really tell from the pictures on the link.

Well, I guess I'll just check out the Jeepspeed guys. I wonder how their go fast ideas will crossover to my crawling XJ? Thanks XJCHUCK72 I'll post pics after I'm finished

Get in touch with David over at Crawltech he has done this. They had pics of it on there site but I cant find them since they updated it. He completly cut out the uniframe crossmember where the upper rear shock mounts are and built a new one out of tubing in the rear cargo area then he tied it into the unibody frame rails as well as his internal cage. I believe he said he built it with racing and jumping in mind.

hey! i'm planning to do the same thing hopefully this fall (guess i shouldn't be surprised it isn't an original idea after all)...

do let us know though, 'cuz i haven't seen it done before.

if anyone has photos, i'd love to see 'em.

good luck.

Spooky said:
Get in touch with David over at Crawltech he has done this. They had pics of it on there site but I cant find them since they updated it.

thanks for the tip... i found 'em there...

Picture_027.jpg

Picture_005.jpg

Man, that's a lot of space dedicated to the rear shocks.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but don't you run out of spring travel before shock travel if your shocks are the correct lenth? How much travel could you actually gain? Wouldn't a shock hoop be more beneficial vs. cutting a hole in the floor?

But ya know, come to think of it...I might reinforce my roof rack and use it as an upper shock mount :)

I though of doing it sort of that way at first but I am going to attach them to the side spreader bars closer to the rear hoop. As for running out of spring travel, I need 12" travel shocks just to use MOST of my rear travel. That is with suspension limit straps!

XJZ said:
Man, that's a lot of space dedicated to the rear shocks.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but don't you run out of spring travel before shock travel if your shocks are the correct lenth? How much travel could you actually gain? Wouldn't a shock hoop be more beneficial vs. cutting a hole in the floor?

But ya know, come to think of it...I might reinforce my roof rack and use it as an upper shock mount :)

It's been a while since I talked to him about his setup. If I remember right he said he wanted to raise his lower shock mounts and keep his shocks closer to a 90 degree angle instead of the typical 45 degree(with reduced valving) or so you get with a shock hoop due to the limited amount of room avalable between the axle and floor. Also the bottom of the shocks are mounted on the top of the axle tubes so the shocks are not as long as they look.(14" travel if I remember correctly)

I can see that being valuable if you plan to cross country race/ jeep speed/ jump your xj instead of just playin on the rocks.

Ok, I have finished the rear shock project!!!! I think it turned out pretty well. One question now is what brand of shock(rancho?) can be mounted inverted ie. with the body of the shock at the top mount? I will try to post pics ASAP It flexes beyond my expectations and limit straps will be necessary. Please let me know what you all think good or BAD!!!!!

cagedxj said:
Ok, I have finished the rear shock project!!!! I think it turned out pretty well. One question now is what brand of shock(rancho?) can be mounted inverted ie. with the body of the shock at the top mount? I will try to post pics ASAP It flexes beyond my expectations and limit straps will be necessary. Please let me know what you all think good or BAD!!!!!
i've ran both Rancho and Doestch Tech can up and both worked fine. The do tend to develop a dead spot at the first inch of travel when fully compressed. Look into Bilstein or Edelbrock monotube shocks, they are designed to be run can up.

i don't understand why u did that?? what kind of suspsion u running under that?? why could u just built a x member underneath the jeep??

stoney

you can run a cross member under the floor but buy the time you get a set of 12" travel shocks they are laying over sideways. At such an angle(approx 45*) you lose about 30% of the effective dampening of the shock. Not to mention that the shocks seem the wear quite quickly, at leats mine did. I had that set up simular to the Cross Ent. shock hoop. I had noting but problems when trying to 'bump' up a large rock ledge. I have tryed many large ledges now with the new set-up and have NO BOUNCE after Bumping my way up.

um? well i have the shocks off a 4.5 kit off the axle and onto a x member and i seem to have a plenty good ride! IT IS A 4X4!!!! i mean so u trying to get a better ride?? NEAT

also my shocks don't limit my flex at all and i don't think they interfere with offroading at all!!

i am jsut trying to understand giveing up ur whole cargo area just for a better ride??

stoney

are you talking about the blue XJ? Thats not mine. You need to check the link to Yahoo or fill me in on how to post pics direct to see mine. I only lost 4" on the side by the existing wheelwells.

Last edited:
Yeah, if you are not a yahoo user you will have problems.
PM'd ya SPOOKY

Back