• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I know what gears?

Well unless a previous owner has dicked with it, you will have 3.54 gears in there since you have the I6 and auto.

Would that be the same for a 92 w/ a 4.0 and auto?

Fenton Beech

Typically it should be. Look for a tag on the back of the diff cover that should include the gear ratio. Next time you change the gear oil of course you can look on the ring gear for the tooth count stamped into it.

you can tell what gears you have by how many times your drive shaft turns in to every one full turn of the rear tire.

How to:
1. jack up the vehicle
2. use white chalk and mark the rear tire ( i mark it at the bottom pointing directly to the ground) - you can mark the ground to be more accurate.
3. use white chalk and mark the drive shaft (same as tire)
4. rotate the tire and count how many times the drive shaft rotates.

ex.
if the drive shaft rotates 4 times to every one complete turn of the tire
gears = 4:10 ( 4 to 1)

or:

if the drive shaft rotates 3 times to every 3/4 turn of the rear wheel
gears = 3:75 ( 3 to 3/4)

hope this helps!
rex

XJ-wrecks said:
ex.

or:

hope this helps!
rex
This info is not quite correct.... (if it were, then these two gears would yield the exact same end ratio, which we know is not correct)
4.10 means 4.10 rotations of the driveshaft to every 1 rotation of the wheels....
3.75 means 3.75 roations of the driveshaft for every 1 rotation of the wheels... and so on...

Good Luck with checking the gearing....

XJ-wrecks said:
you can tell what gears you have by how many times your drive shaft turns in to every one full turn of the rear tire.

How to:
1. jack up the vehicle
2. use white chalk and mark the rear tire ( i mark it at the bottom pointing directly to the ground) - you can mark the ground to be more accurate.
3. use white chalk and mark the drive shaft (same as tire)
4. rotate the tire and count how many times the drive shaft rotates.

ex.

or:

hope this helps!
rex
Good theory, bad math. The driveshaft turning 4 times to one tire rotation = 4.0:1 gearing, which is exactly the same ratio as 3 driveshaft turns to 3/4 of a wheel rotation.

Always turn multiple times just to be clear anyway; 35 1/2 turns of the driveshaft to 10 wheel turns makes a 3.55 ratio

HA!!! Beat ya to it!!!

hey... gimme some credit. i was pretty close for only doing it twice. :doh:

and the last time was about 10 years ago.

ty SGT Peters

Rex

Back