• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift question?

Marrokstrader

NAXJA Forum User
I'm currently in the process of installing a dakota pack in the rear and f-150 coils in the front. But my question is if the stock dakota pack nets me 4 inches and the coils 3". Then what if i bought a 4 inch lift pack for the dakota?.....does that mean i could net 8" from them? same apply's to the coils? Just curious. thanx

Not neccessarily,
There are only two special cases when you'd get exactly the same lift.
1) If the rear-end of a dakota weighs the same as the rear-end of an XJ
2) If the spring rates for the stock dakota spring and the lift dakota spring are the same (just more arched).
both of these scenarios are kinda unlikely though. so here's the other possibilities. Assuming that all the springs are linear-rate and that the dakota lift springs are stiffer that than the dakota stock springs, then

1) if dakota rear is heavier than XJ rear, then XJ will get less lift than dakota

2) if dakota rear is lighter than XJ rear, then XJ will get more lift than dakota

the amount of difference will depend on difference in spring rate between the the stock and lift springs for the dakota AND the difference between the weights of the rear-end of the dakota and the cherokee. for a ball-park difference range though, it should about an inch or less. I had to use some kinduv unlikely scenarios to get it to an inch of difference. I can crunch the actual numbers for you if you want, but i'd need real data on the springs and some vehicle rear-end weights. i just used dummy numbers cause i really had no idea what spring rates and weights to use.

interesting, cause this is the exact opposite of what i had expected - really weird actually. anyone else wanna check this out to make sure i didn't screw-up my calcs?

as far as the f-150 coils go, the exact same concept would apply.
again, all this assumes linear springs, if the dakota or f-150 has progresives, then all bets are off.

most pickup leafs are progressive, barring the overload leaf (although, do they even remain in place on high lift packs?) as for the coils, id be willing to bet theyre progressive as well. however, a dak rear end is close in weight, maybe a little less than our XJ. its a safe bet that a 4" pack would net approx 3 additional inches to the current lift gained (to be on the safe side, since a lot of lift packs sag over time). will you be using the whole pack, or keeping the (assumed stock) XJ main leaf?
as for the fronts, id assume youd get a really harsh ride, since aftermarket lift coils are usually stiffer than stock. but i think the same lift principle would apply...
-bennett

under the first circumstance i'm not sure on the weights nor the data on spring rates. I came unprepared to those questions. The mathmatics you're using i should have realized myself! As far as Bennett's question i would say i'd use the xj main leaf in addition to the pack. But i remind you the whole thing is theoretical. i'm currently installing a stock dakota leaf pack with my main xj and just thought of the questions about a lift for the dakota. As far as the f-150 coils go for lift i'm sure if i wanted to go that tall i'd end up buying xj coils so it wouldn't be as stiff. thanx

Back