• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oddball thought - I might sell my lift and go back to stock...need input, though.

sportsguy

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so I'm thinking of selling my lift and going back to stock ride height.

I'm after some ideas on how much to ask for my gear:

~ 3" BDS lift - coils in front with 3/4" coil spacers
~ AAL in back w/2" lift blocks (just the AAL, not the whole spring packs)
~ 4 new (in boxes) BDS shocks
~ Front quick discos for the sway-bar
~ BDS LCA's

I'll keep the long brake lines

My total gains with this setup are still at 3 3/4" in front and 4" in the rear. I started at 4 1/4" up front and 4 1/2" in back, but it has settled.

Anyhow, any thoughts on what to ask for this set-up? I will be keeping the original spring packs in the back, so it's just the AAL from the rear that'll be going. I had the factory springs re-arched to get them back to factory specs BEFORE the AAL was installed - makes a difference, IMO.

Is $400 Canadian too much? $300? $500...?

Dont do it. Once you have strayed from stock, you cant go back. In 6 months you'll be kicking yourself and looking for lift stuff. Then everything will be more expensive then when you first bought it. :doh:

sportsguy said:
OK, so I'm thinking of selling my lift and going back to stock ride height.

I'm after some ideas on how much to ask for my gear:

~ 3" BDS lift - coils in front with 3/4" coil spacers
~ AAL in back w/2" lift blocks (just the AAL, not the whole spring packs)
~ 4 new (in boxes) BDS shocks
~ Front quick discos for the sway-bar
~ BDS LCA's

I'll keep the long brake lines

My total gains with this setup are still at 3 3/4" in front and 4" in the rear. I started at 4 1/4" up front and 4 1/2" in back, but it has settled.

Anyhow, any thoughts on what to ask for this set-up? I will be keeping the original spring packs in the back, so it's just the AAL from the rear that'll be going. I had the factory springs re-arched to get them back to factory specs BEFORE the AAL was installed - makes a difference, IMO.

Is $400 Canadian too much? $300? $500...?
As far as getting rid of that lift and going back to stock, anyone who knows me, knows i am an advocate for stock or stock-like suspensions. I have tried lots of different combinations, but i am now riding on a simple homebuilt budget-boost style lift (1.75") with tons of fender trimming, which allows me 32's or 33's depending on my mood. I spend a lot of time on the road, mostly on long trips with a cab full of farting children, so its more practical for me to have a smooth road ride. AAL's are often plagued with problems, they are too stiff, they sag too much, they can damage the other springs in the pack...you get my drift. I sold an old Black Diamond AAL lift a while ago for $275 CDN and it included everything you list above. I paid just under $500 for it, and used it for about 30-40000k. My advice is, ask a bit over half of what you paid for it, and consider how much use (abuse) it has withstood over time. You will probably get what you want, since someone who researches it will know what they get. If its in fantastic condition (ie - like new) then try for about 75% of what you paid. Hold out for a while, it will likely sell. Mine sold in a day after advertising it in the local buyandsell.
Good luck,
Buck :canada:

PS, don't listen to the guys who say keep it, if you want a lift, get a better one, with more components. Just my 2 cents.
B.

OK - this is good stuff.

Why sell it and go stock again? Well, I think my priorities are shifting. I'm after a slight bump in fuel economy, which will happen when I replace my clogged cat...which leads me to the desire for more power...so a full new exhaust will go on. After that, I want a truck that runs well every day, still can get me out in the winter and one that I can have some fun with on Sunday rides with my wife.

She's not into off-roading, so I'm alone when I go out. No biggie, but since I write for an off-road magazine, I can hop aboard with folks when the desire to get dirty hits me.

In the meantime, I have a fun ride that'll sacer a lot of imports and domestics into thinking twice at the lights.

...and I love rally, so maybe, just maybe, I'll set it up for that down the road...

Thanks for the advice too on the selling of my gear - I've got about 20,000 on it right now and no troubles at all with the AAL in the rear.

Thanks again for the help guys.

sportsguy said:
She's not into off-roading, so I'm alone when I go out. No biggie, but since I write for an off-road magazine, I can hop aboard with folks when the desire to get dirty hits me.

PLEASE tell me that you don't write for a 4WD off-road magazine, but rather a "hiking" off-road magazine. I just dont think I could live with myself with the knowledge that the guys writing the articles I read are considering removing a very mild lift and going stock. My world is crumbling around me. Its like the wizard of OZ debocale. I sit at a desk all day, dreaming of being able to go Four Wheeling as my "job" and come to find out its all a hoax, these guys arent passionate about four wheeling, they consider selling it all and going STOCK!!! I just cant take it....

Ludakris said:
PLEASE tell me that you don't write for a 4WD off-road magazine, but rather a "hiking" off-road magazine. I just dont think I could live with myself with the knowledge that the guys writing the articles I read are considering removing a very mild lift and going stock. My world is crumbling around me. Its like the wizard of OZ debocale. I sit at a desk all day, dreaming of being able to go Four Wheeling as my "job" and come to find out its all a hoax, these guys arent passionate about four wheeling, they consider selling it all and going STOCK!!! I just cant take it....
The longer you do it, the more you will realize that there is more to off-roading and four-wheeling than simply "bigger is better". Purchasing thousands of dollars worth of aftermarket parts and bolting them to your Jeep is not the only definition of "passionate". My own "passion" is defined as carefully and thoughtfully improving and perfecting my wheels for my own specific needs and application. Although I can't speak for sportsguy, my idea of offroading is not necessarily linked to hairy hillbillies with blown 427's under the hood of their uncle's old XJ tearing up the trails on 24" of lift. Sure its fun to do, but what about the rest of us 9-5ers who need a daily driver? As far as competent off-road writers go, what kind of a rig do you suppose Willy Worthy rolls in? Do you think he's namby-pamby? Anyway, with my skids, lockers and winch, there are very few trails I can't get into, and if i can't get up it, i will just find a different line to get me to the ol' fishin' hole....
I don't mean to offend you, just to point out that your particular perspective is, after all, yours, and not everyone else's. Sorry about all the:
:soapbox:
Buck. :canada:

Ludakris said:
Sorry to spoil your day, Ludes...but it's an off-road, truck driving, through the woods and into the mud hole magazine.

...and it's a sideline. While I enjoy it, let's be real - very few people, if any, are actually paid to go driving rigs on trails each day.

It was mentioned above that there are other definitions to "passion" about this sport. While I truly enjoy my Jeep and it's, as you say, 'very mild lift', think of this for a minute:

How do you like it while you're on a trail ride and someone is holding up the show. No good reason you can see being 12 trucks back, so it's just frustrating.

Well try this next time your out on the trail:

You have to drive your truck
You have to take the pictures, being sure to not miss any of the good action
You have to make notes on who is driving what and how they built their rides
CRAP - you've got to go move your truck because you're holding people up taking notes and pictures
DAMN - missed the action while walking back from your truck up the trail

Beginning to see somethng here?

The last 8 trail rides I've been on have been in other people's Jeeps. Mine sits in the parking lot (probably leaking oil - it's a Jeep after all...LOL). It's not what many folks imagine, writing these stories - it's mostly walking around looking for a good shot to get a photo, then introducing yourself to strangers and asking their rigs life's story.

True, I haven't had anyone NOT want to talk, but man, it's just no fun doing the story AND trying to get my truck through the trail.

You see the dream - I know the work.

Beyond that, I'm about trying different things. I think it's perfectly fine to mod a Jeep for power and handling on-road - but that's my opinion. I've off roaded, cleared trails, been a trail guide at Jeep Jamborees, etc. Now I can see all of that from a different perspective and not worry about breaking a part or my ride being broken come Monday morning...there's my dream, bro!

Laugh at me all you want - this is what it takes to get those stories you like to read - hard work, not driving YOUR (well, MY) personal rig on the trail. If my "very mildly lifted" rig is going to be pretty much a street only ride that sucks gas...well, I want it to be as comfortable as possible.

You'd be shocked by what magazine writers drive on a daily basis - most of them drive economy cars...at least I'm not giving up the Jeep totally - that's gotta count for something...right? ;)

sportsguy said:
Beyond that, I'm about trying different things. I think it's perfectly fine to mod a Jeep for power and handling on-road - but that's my opinion. I've off roaded, cleared trails, been a trail guide at Jeep Jamborees, etc. Now I can see all of that from a different perspective and not worry about breaking a part or my ride being broken come Monday morning...there's my dream, bro!

Laugh at me all you want - this is what it takes to get those stories you like to read - hard work, not driving YOUR (well, MY) personal rig on the trail. If my "very mildly lifted" rig is going to be pretty much a street only ride that sucks gas...well, I want it to be as comfortable as possible.

You'd be shocked by what magazine writers drive on a daily basis - most of them drive economy cars...at least I'm not giving up the Jeep totally - that's gotta count for something...right? ;)
I think I see the problem...your a Canadian! :laugh: I'm kidding. Here is my take. I drive an XJ for trails. I am running now about 8 to 9 inches of lift and 35 inchers. It used to be my daily driver while my wife drove a 97 ZJ. When the fuel prices went through the roof we bought a 00 Camry for her to drive back and forth to work.(she drives 30 miles a day...I drive that in a week)
So I started driving the Grand to work but it wasn't long before I wanted something bigger. Even though my XJ is really too big to be a daily driver I missed the looks I got and the effort it took to drive it. To me its kind of like riding a hard tail chopper...yeah it beats you to death but its still fun.
Now the ZJ is getting ready for a 5 to 6 inch lift and 33s and it will still be my daily driver. Mostly because I like big things. I get in the Camry and I feel like everyone is going to run me over. Then again I drive an 18 wheeler for a living so almost everything feels small to me :patriot:

Ludakris said:

i think youd be surprised how many there are out there. not only that, but i know a guy who works for 4wheel parts that doesnt even own a 4 wheel drive vehicle :confused1 :rolleyes:

sportsguy said:
...and it's a sideline. While I enjoy it, let's be real - very few people, if any, are actually paid to go driving rigs on trails each day.

ok, but you still get paid alot more to do it than I do. OK, so you dont want to drive an uncomfortable truck around, well take a look in the back of your publication and get a good lift, not Blocks and such. I just dont get it and never will. I work in an office of 18 and am of three guys that have "projects" on the side. I deal with automobiles 8 hours a day at work and as much as possible in my off time. I have a Jeep on the side, not my daily driver, and scrape to put it together and on the trails, but I do it because I wouldnt want to be considered a poser, sell out, or any of the above. As far as "Passion" is concerned, I will take the definition of "Eat, Sleep, and Live", but that is just my opinion, and I will consider this as I read my magazines in the future...

Ludakris said:
ok, but you still get paid alot more to do it than I do. OK, so you dont want to drive an uncomfortable truck around, well take a look in the back of your publication and get a good lift, not Blocks and such. I just dont get it and never will. I work in an office of 18 and am of three guys that have "projects" on the side. I deal with automobiles 8 hours a day at work and as much as possible in my off time. I have a Jeep on the side, not my daily driver, and scrape to put it together and on the trails, but I do it because I wouldnt want to be considered a poser, sell out, or any of the above. As far as "Passion" is concerned, I will take the definition of "Eat, Sleep, and Live", but that is just my opinion, and I will consider this as I read my magazines in the future...
I hear what your saying, man. I love cars, but other things have to take prioirity for me. I love off-roading, but over the years I've realized it's the teamwork of driver and spotter that I enjoy most. I prefer to spot more than drive...I guess I trust myself more than others...

No biggie though - don't let what folks like me do or don't do spoil anything for you. (Not that I think it will, but you know.)

If you have the chance to read one of my articles, let me know what you think - it'll be a bit difficult now, since all this is in the open, but try to be objective and ask yourself when you read it - does it seem like this guy (the author) is into off roading?

...as soon as I can, I'll post an old article up on my website and post the link for folks to read through and offer some feedback. I just don't want to assume you'd ever see a copy of the admittedly modest publication I'm in.

Duane

Back