• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skid Row Engine Skid = Problems????

96XJCLASSIC

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a skid row engine skid and a transfer case skid similiar to the xj nation one on my 96 Friday and then decided to go for some light wheeling sat afternoon. After about 15 minutes of driving my rig started smoking, i pulled over to find oil spewing out of the area around rear main seal. I don't believe that the seal is ruined i just believe that the oil got so hot it boiled out around it.
Do you think the engine skid could cause this or just a freaky coincidance? I do have 151, 000 miles on my Junk.

It is possible that the skid is blocking air flow, that oil pan is a sort of radiator after all. Never really thought about that before...

How close is the skid to the oil pan?
The oil pan have any rust on it?
did you hit it or bump it when you were working on it?

I have never heard of a skid plate causing oil burn. and if your cooling sys is working right and you have enough oil in it i don't think you should have that problem.. but i would be interested to know if that was the case...

RichP said:
It is possible that the skid is blocking air flow, that oil pan is a sort of radiator after all. Never really thought about that before...
I thought about this too when I first put my Rusty's engine skid on. Though they attach differently at the front, they both trap the exhaust pipe between the skid and the transmission and oil pan. After running with it for a couple of years, even on slow runs in 100* weather I have not had any noticable cooling issues. If your oil is getting as hot as you propose, your coolant temp is going to show it as well. I'd look for something other than just the skid plate. Did you touch anything else while you were down there for the install?

All I can think of is the Skid. I know i didn't hurt/damage anything on the install. The install was pretty straight forward and really didn't come close to affecting any vital parts of the engine/tranny.

Coincidence does happen. you could pull the skid off and see if that changes anything... I installed a new ftp server at a customers site couple of months ago and their dual t1 and telephones went down. They wanted to know what I did....sheesh.... turned out a backhoe had knocked a telephone pole down about a block away while they were digging up a water line...

RichP said:
Coincidence does happen. you could pull the skid off and see if that changes anything... I installed a new ftp server at a customers site couple of months ago and their dual t1 and telephones went down. They wanted to know what I did....sheesh.... turned out a backhoe had knocked a telephone pole down about a block away while they were digging up a water line...
Orgh! I hate that, I set up a new replication server in my Sac Office and My Vallejo office called and were yelling at me for their t1 not working, come to find out SBC cut a line 1 block from my Vallejo office

Ron4x4 said:
Orgh! I hate that, I set up a new replication server in my Sac Office and My Vallejo office called and were yelling at me for their t1 not working, come to find out SBC cut a line 1 block from my Vallejo office
OMG!!!
I had a freekin painter come in and plug a shop vac in on my ups circuit took down 22 servers and the whole ip tel network... the day after we put a new battery in the ups :hang: :paperwork

Dude, back on the topic. I just thought of this, I don't know if your rig has this or not but some 4.0's have a 90degree adapter on the oil filter... on it is two O rings. if you bumpted them or somthing and made them come loose they would cause it to look like your main is leaking. It's all guesswork now on my part but that's happened to me before... just trying to give you ideas to check

I removed the skid and the thing is running like a top. I still don't know if it was the skid but I am not gonna put it back on.

I have the same skid and have had no problems with it causing oil leaks. I did have a leaky steering line and the fluid collected on the plate which then smoked. I replaced the line and cleaned the plate with simple green and had no other problems.

Back