• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulley diameter question ??

79yj

NAXJA Forum User
If I want an alternator to make more power at a lower rpm then should I increase the size or make it smaller?
My onboard welder needs to run at 2500+ rpms to make a decent amount of power to weld with. I would like it to make that power at something much closer to idle and make more power at the same rpms.
Thanks, Eric

If the pulley on the alternator is smaller, it will turn faster. Keep in mind that at higher engine RPM, the alternator may be turning faster than it was designed for.

79yj said:
If I want an alternator to make more power at a lower rpm then should I increase the size or make it smaller?
My onboard welder needs to run at 2500+ rpms to make a decent amount of power to weld with. I would like it to make that power at something much closer to idle and make more power at the same rpms.
Thanks, Eric

You can run a slightly smaller pulley on the stock size alt to get the power at a slightly lower rpm. I believe that you can only run one size smaller pulley (there is nothing smaller that fits). Any alt should have one.

I have a smaller pulley on a 185 amp alt.

Michael

Back