• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any Painting Tips?

verrive

NAXJA Forum User
ATM I have yet to pick up the paint but I've got my primer and primer reducer. Assuming the weather is nice I may spray tomorrow. I've got a spray gun and a respirator, do you guys have any suggestions for me? I've never painted with a gun before. Only real suggestions my pa gave me were try out on a piece of cardboard first to make sure I get my paint/air adjusted right. Any other suggestions? I was also wondering, what is the average distance I should have between the paint nozzle and the surface I am spraying?

Thanks,
Kevin

8-10 inches on the distance. I do paint and body for a living, I'd suggest doing an internet search for "painting tips", pick up a book or have someone with experience present to help. I wouldn't just jump into it and hope for the best, you can make a terrible mess that way. Don't want to discourage, just get the basics down before you start.

Dont 'swing' the gun, you want it to be the EXACT same distance from the target surface from left to right and back again, no arching of the spray. I kind of lock my arm and move my body back and forth and not my arm.

That was one of the other thing my dad mentioned was the distance. Don't worry, you're not discouraging, it's currently a pos that needs body work and its like 7+ colors so I don't think I could make it any worse :D Plus for $200 for all the paint, primer and all that I don't expect anything perfect, just needs to look better than it does :D

- Kevin

Back