• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear buffs help needed once more

small pederson

NAXJA Forum User
so long story short i forgot the slinger. put it in and didnt change anything, now im looking at a completely different gear set.

it went from .006" backlash and these patterns

ce14.sized.jpg

ce13.sized.jpg

to .0045" backlash and these, uh, patterns

this is a little hard to make out, the pattern runs flank to face in a triangular pattern
ce17.sized.jpg

ce16.sized.jpg

please tell me whats going on before i go crazy!!!

Thats really hard to see the pattern. but what I think I see looks like a good pattern...

ce18.sized.jpg

heres a quick scetch i whipped up. after further review of my trusty yukon gear manual, it looks like the pinion is too close now. that would also explain the tighter backlash. what do you think raw?

That pattern is extremely hard to read. Ditch the machinist's dye and put some pattern grease in there.

Other than that- my now-sore eyes think you have a problem there. Make a major change to the pinion depth. When you're roughing in a gear set always make large changes like .010" initially and chase it down from there. That pattern definitely needs some work though. Also never waste your time by running a pattern if the b/l is out of spec, fix it first.

I would say clean up the marking compound you r currently using really good and reapply a thin coat of the yellow varity to only 3 or 4 teeth. To much compound will make it hard to read. R u spinning the carrier or the pinion when obtaining pattern? You want to be spinning the carrier 3 to 4 full revolutions both forwards and backwards.

And from what I have read you have to have backlash set to spec before a true pinion depth reading can be obtained.

Last edited:
from what i can see....the first pattern looks pretty good, but when you made the backlash tighter and made it closer to the pinion it needs work. So i would take a little off of the pinion depth and try the tighter backlash again.

ya thanks guys just like i thought the pinion was too deep. and prussian blue was the only marking compound i could find. if you dont like it, send me some yellow shit

I think prussian blue is better

did I tell you the thing about pushing the ring gear into the pinion?

make ssure the flash is off on your camera

small pederson said:
ya thanks guys just like i thought the pinion was too deep. and prussian blue was the only marking compound i could find. if you dont like it, send me some yellow shit

Yeah right, you're what- 20 minutes from Randy's R & P?

no more like an hour 30 traffic allowing.

Beezil said:
the color of your marking compound is not the problem.

Keep in mind you were able to nail a beautiful pattern before.

you know what to do!

:patriot: you mean go spend another afternoon in the garage pounding and pulling? yes sir! lol anybody want to come do it for ma lazy ass?

now thatI am finally sober... Loooonnnnnnnnnggggggggg party last night... double cap-n-coke...several...

from your drawing, yes pinion is too deep. you either made a really drastic change or there is a piece of debris behind the big pinion bearing cup which is not allowing it to seat all the way.
whats your address and I will have my rep mail you a tube of compound, on my dime... just for the sake of my hung over eyes...

Back