• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bumper w/ tire carrier

never heard of them,

ive never ordered anything for my rig w/o calling the people and having them talk me into the sale. give em a ring and let us know? looks stout enough...

there none to bad i bought a front bumper from them and its not badly made my son check it out and all the welds were done nicely he welds for a living at his shop i like it and it does hold up to a beating but they don';t always leave feedback i'm still waiting for it since may. so if the rear bumper is like the front it's worth it.

Not bad looking but don't plan on using those little D rings for any kind of pulls. The front one gives the option of shackle mounts instead of D rings. He's not making a living on the shipping either like some of the other places I've looked.
You will also need to add in a set of nut cert plates inside the rear frame rails and two brackets to attach them to from the bottom of the bumper to the frame rails for increased strength.

RichP said:
You will also need to add in a set of nut cert plates inside the rear frame rails and two brackets to attach them to from the bottom of the bumper to the frame rails for increased strength.

My thoughts exactly. You can't hang a tire carrier on a rear bumper that only uses the factory mounts. You will be able to see the tire vibrating in the rear view mirror and over time cracks will form around the factory mounting area.

MaXJohnson said:
My thoughts exactly. You can't hang a tire carrier on a rear bumper that only uses the factory mounts. You will be able to see the tire vibrating in the rear view mirror and over time cracks will form around the factory mounting area.

Yea, but thats easy stuff, the tough part is getting the OEM bumper off and mine on my 98 was real knuckle buster that I still have scars from when I did mine 2 months ago, I had also had that bumper off a couple of times and had anti-seized it too but the bolts still rusted. The nutcerts will slide right in and the bolt on supports can be added almost anytime after that. All in all I think it's a pretty good buy for those of us that don't have access to welding and fabbing stuff. I'm looking real close at his front bumper, the shipping from OH to PA is a LOT LESS than from Utah and it has the 3/4" shackle tabs as an option, choice of hoop height and some other touches, wish his pics were a bit more clear though....

It looks good but, I think you wold have to reposition the License plate. It looks as if it would be hidden behind the tire. Other wise looks cool.
-Steve D

RichP said:
yeah is this same bumper??
If so I second the need for extra brackets on the bottom cause I wouldn't trust those 8 holes to pull my jeep out or to pull with it.

Kejtar said:
yeah is this same bumper??
If so I second the need for extra brackets on the bottom cause I wouldn't trust those 8 holes to pull my jeep out or to pull with it.
Yep, that's basically the same bumper. It's just a different option that the guy makes.
When you guys are talking about "extra brackets", would that be like what I got from Rusty's for the front tow hook kit. By that I mean, brackets that go on the frame and the bumper? I think I know what you all are talking about.

I already had the stock bumper off once, what a PITA. The old one I had on my XJ was crushed on one side from the previous owner, so I bought a new stock bumper and put on. Should have just waited :doh: , but that's what this is all about anyway, a money game right? lol

Thanks for all the replies and advice guys, much apperciated. Within a month, I'm going to get one off this guy. Price looks good, looks and sounds sturdy, and shipping is cheap. I wish I knew how to fab stuff up like this too, and for that matter how to weld as well. One of these days though, hopefully I'll learn. Anyway, I'll let you all know when I get one, and I'll post some pics. Thanks again!

Jeremy

The extra brackets would be something that would make it mount kind of like a hitch from underneath. The bracket slides along the framerail and bolts UP into the nutstrip that's inside the frame rail and that would be in addition to the other mounting bolts ast hose would help with the distribution of hte weight of the tire and carrier.

I actually ordered on of those bumpers about a week and a half ago and I am still waiting. Is there an easy way for me to fab up some sort of support, I can weld, but I don't trust my welds to fab something that would support my rear bumper, what do you think my best option is could i use some angle iron cut and welded in a 90 degree angle and then bolt to the frame rail as well as the bumper. I just need some help. Thanks guys

Back