• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my first xj

dodged100

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased a 1986 cherokee chief, I intend to add tires and about 2" of lift for some mild offroading.
My question is where do I fine specifications for my chief such as what axles do I have front and rear, what transfer case, what transmission etc.
Lloyd

You find that information right here of course. I hope you didn't get the 2.8L V6...

D30 front axle
Tranny could be an AX-4 4-speed, AX-5 5-speed, or a (TF904?) if auto
T-case if part-time is NP207, or NP228/229 if full-time "Select-Trac" Best bet would be to crawl underneath and verify the small round tag on the rear of the t-case.
Rear axle is almost certainly a Dana35

All of the above is assuming that the parts are stock.

Even if it is a 2.8l, its not the end of the world. I had two 2.8l Blazers (same engine) that lasted over 250K with no issues and were still running just fine with no oil consumption or anything like that when I sold them. The only difference between the two engines is the GM 2.8ls are TBI (throttle body injected) and the Jeep ones are carburated. I drove mine pretty hard too, you just have to keep up with the maintenance on them. If you don't change the oil every 3000 miles you WILL have engine problems with it. I'm not claiming its a power house though, hopefully if you do have the 2.8l its a 5 speed--that helps out a lot. The carburated 2.8l only has 110 hp and 145 lb ft of torque.

Welcome Waggon

welcome to the wonderful world of off roading a vehicle that everone else considers to be a Mall Crawler, go out there and show em up!

RRO (rocky Road Outfitters) www.rocky-road.com has a good Budget Boost (2" lift) that i would get if that is what i was going for.

you found the right place to find info for your rig. We do ask a few things to help make things better around here:
----use the search function, with 6500 members owning many jeeps, there is a good likeylhood that any problem you may come across has been covered before (check out the tech sections too) [this will keep you from being flamed as well, doesnt happen as often as www.pirate4x4.com but yeah]
----dont use txt msg responces to keep us guessing at what ur saying it makes it hard to know what ur looking for when u type ur meaning your...
----include Vehicle year, engine type, axles, lift, any mods, trans type, 2door or 4 door, and anything that make your vehicle specifc when you ask for help on something because there were many design differences for the different options, and we can help you better if we know what you have.

enjoi!
-XJ_Ranger

Re: Welcome Waggon

Well if it is an 86 then it is a V6 Carbed...I know have been all thru it trying to find stuff for my 86 4cy TBI. I have an 84 with the V6 and it has over 360,000 and I have had it for over 2 years. first year drove 1000 miles a week to work...and KNOCK on WOOD have not had to turn a wrench on it...New tires and Spark Plugs and Wires
Tranny could be an AX-4 4-speed, AX-5 5-speed, or a (TF904?) if auto
T-case if part-time is NP207, or NP228/229 if full-time "Select-Trac" Best bet would be to crawl underneath and verify the small round tag on the rear of the t-case.

To add to this Yes if auto will be the TF904 Parttime was called "Command Trac"
On the "Slect-Trac" you would have a switch in the console fro 2WD and 4WD...
Only way to know for sure on the Gears is to crawl under and check the Front is easier...possiliites are 4:11 or 3:08...have seen both...

Welcome to the Forum and just give us a little more info and I asure you someone can tell you all you need to know....

Back