• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting to plan 4wd conversion and buildup...

nitrogt101

NAXJA Forum User
My xj: '96 2 door, 4.0, 2 wheel drive, auto.

Alright, I guess I should put it this way: I'm 17, starting to see the money from my part time job, and dying to see 4wd on my cherokee.

What I'm planning:
-4wd conversion, get dana30, NP231 w/ auto tanny, and front/rear driveshafts from another xj with 4.0.
-while I have my baby in the garage taken apart, I thought I might as well lift it at the same time, so I want a 4.5-5"(enough for 33's?), any recomendations on lifts accepted, but I know I want BFG MT's.

I'm just curious if there is anything I'm missing? Is this something my dad and I can tackle with basic tools? How much would it cost for a shop to do it?

Thanks for any help/opinions, even just a "sounds like a good project" is appretioated.

-nitrogt101

P.S.- if there is anyone in the Ventura, CA area that might be willing to give an experienced hand in installation or gathering parts will be my hero forever.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but this is my opinon. It would be cheaper and easier to sell your jeep and buy a 4wd one. The only way I would do what you are talking about is if you were using an Atlas t case, and bigger axles. The reason I say this is your 2wd will be cheaper to start with, and why buy a 4wd if you are going to replace the case, and axles. I don't know if this post makes the point I want it to. What I am trying to say is if you want to build a truck with Axles bigger than stock, and a after market t case start with the 2wd. If you just want to turn it into a stock axle 4wd it would be easier to buy a 4wd.

i agree, or even keep your 2wd xj around for driving when the 4x4 is non-opp (as any good 4x4 is from time to time [some more than others]).

i just picked up my xj in palo-alto 5 months ago for 2,100 (as much if not more than u would spend on the RIGHT t-case, axles, and d-shafts)
it came with:
160,000 rebuild at 120,000
new t-case
Off Road Package
2 Door
Factory skids (front, T-case, Gastank)
Yakima Racks
BFG All-Terrain TA-ko 235/75r15

i dont know how close to the bay-area ventura is, however:
www.craigslist.org is your friend, tons of people post xj's on there (thats where i found myne) [Use the search on the main-page searching for "for sale" not community]

if i were to do it, i would:
Atlas t-case www.advanceadapters.com/
D44's front and rear http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axle/xj_dana44_02/
4.56 gears http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/Products_01743/index.html
Tom Woods DriveShafts http://www.4xshaft.com/ http://www.highangledriveline.com/
Rubicon Express Lift (all except for: http://www.rubiconexpress.com
JKS quicker disconects http://www.jksmfg.com/

keep in mind also that the 4x4 will also come with all the other stuff already working, such as the nifty "part time" light telling you your in 4 wheel drive, there will be no ajusting the t-case stick, because it already works, and no transmission to wresle into place.

as for how much a shop will do it for? id wouldnt give you an estimate less than 1000 for labor alone, not including parts...

however, if you do end up going for it, i would love to see progress along the way, as that would be an awesome undertaking. I would give you major props if you did it in your garage in one weekend, and almost at major props if everything works as well as you had envisiond.

here for some random smiles :idea: :flamemad: :tears: :phone: :bs: :eek:wl: :read: :wstupid: :anon: :wantyou: :link2:

Im kinda in the same position, Im 16 but I was blessed with a 4WD. Unless you parents are strict about you selling the jeep, Id sell it and go with a '91 or newer 2 Door. I made the mistake of buying a 90 4 door and now I can't do a whole ot of mods or cut a lot outta the rear fender. You could prolly get close to 1000 for it, and I purchased my '90 for 700 at 160k. Just my .2 cents. BY the way, I'd go with chrysler 8.25's at the minimum if you are diehard about the build up. D44's if you can.

I converted my 94 to 4WD, however i did have a rolled 88 to pull parts from.

This can be accomplished rather cheap if you shop around. Look for a wrecked XJ with the parts you need or start hitting the upull's.

On the labor...it's a bolt in conversion that anyone with basic mechanical knowledge can pull off. Theres alot of very knowledgable people here to assist on any questions you may have.

Years down the road you'll reflect on the project you and your father took on. :thumbup:

Thanks for the tips. I would live to just sell this jeep and get a 4wd, but my parents rule is whatever I drive has to have an airbag. And in Southern California '95+ Cherokees in good condition are hard come by with the right stuff for cheap. Also, my dad is the one who suggested this project, because after looking for another jeep, we haven't found any that are in as good condition as mine, and as well taken care of.

And BTW, I could get around $4500-5000 for mine in my area. These things go fast around here.

Thanks for the help,
nitrogt101

Go for it dude.Around her xjs are pletiful in junkyards.Icould have bought a compete one wreked in front for 2oo not long ago it would have had the tranny and t case.there seems to be alot around here that have had underhood fires but the running gear willusually be intact if you can get a complete one.that would be best. NAXJA

I would say sell it and get a 4wd drive. Granted I'm younger than you, but I planed this conversion out for a year. I'm in the same position as, accept worse: The only thing I'll drive is a stick shift. And considering that only 18% of XJ's made were stick, the odds were againts me. The average price of an XJ here is about $7,000. I got my 95' 4wd, stick shift, 2inchy lift, pacer rimmed 31' for $2,800. My dad cut off $1,200 bucks though (bought it from a new car lot, they make all their money off new cars, not used.) The point is, keep looking, they are out there.After buying the parts and getting an alignment done, you can get a used one with 4wd for much cheaper. Scratch this opinion if the one you're getting has less than 100,000 miles though.

I would seriously look around and find like a wreked XJ, that got some cospetic damaged to it and biuld it up. That's what i did, i got my 94 XJ 4wd Auto for $400, just got to look around and check that craigslist.org often and you be able to find something. Trust me you would always want to keep a stock ride, because it's much comftoble to be in one then to always drive in your Lifted XJ. IF you parents want you to have airbags, then you might want to tell them that that Jeep is going to be only to go have fun not to drive too much on the street, but you know how that works. So just find one with some body damage or engine/trany problems and get started.

Good Luck.

Back