• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

the new hypertech computer

scoobyxj

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
the new hypertech computer for the 4.0 is out and i was wondering if anyone has tryed one yet? is it worth the price they want for one or is it just questionable crap like the jet chips? i read the thread with the fella that got one used off ebay and got stiffed with it, but im talking about a new one straght from hypertech. also does anyone know if they will controll shift points on the aw4 like they can on other vehicles?

The Hypertech computer will move the shift points, raise the top speed governor, raise the rev limiter, and correct the speedo if you've installed larger tires or numerically higher axle gears.
As for performance, they claim a 13hp/21lbft gain (similar claim to JET chip, ASE chip) but I'd take that with a large pinch of salt.

I actually wondered the same thing, so I sent an email to the guys at Hypertech. Below is my correspondence:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 7:07 PM
To: techsupport
Subject: Hypertech for Jeep
Hello,

I am interested in purchasing your newly released Power Programmer for a '98 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L. In the past I have purchased a Jet Performance Chip and also the Venom 400 Performance module, which I have been dissatisfied with. Will I honestly see better results with your product? I am most interested in your product's ability to increase the rev limiter and alter the transmission shift points for firmness. The Jeep article on your website http://www.hypertech.com/jeep.html does not include any information pertaining to transmission shift points. Does this product alter shift points for my model year Jeep? I am under the impression that my transmission is in fact mechanically controlled, not electronically. If the programmer does in fact alter the shift points, rev limiter, horsepower and torque, the product sounds exciting and I would like to try it. Without disappointment I hope! Thank you for your time.

--Ryan

-------------------The Hypertech guy's response:--------------------------

Ryan

The Programmer for the Jeeps have our dual fuel option to increase power. You can select between our 87 or 93 octane settings. The speed is adjustable up to 128 mph and the rev limiter is adjustable in 100 rpm increments up or down. It also has the DTC option where you can view and clear diagnostic trouble codes when needed.
The transmission is not computer controlled and it does nothing to the tranny. Thanks

Jim

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am under the impression that it will do nothing for shift points. What do you guys think?

--Ryan

i kind of fugured that the trans was not computered controled and it would do nothing for it. but i am still wondering if it is worth the money, will you gain enough hp to make it worth its money. basicly what im wondering is would be a good investment to make if you where later going to add a header and exaust.

Does anyone have experience with SplitSecond (www.splitsec.com) ? Here are the emails I've exchanged with their tech department lately:

9/5/2004:
Can you please advise me of everything I'll need to install an FTC1 into a turbocharged Jeep? I've got a freshly rebuilt 1982 258 (overbored 0.030"), with a head and fuel injection from a 1993 4.0 engine, and I'm building a turbocharger manifold to run a Garrett T04E-50 and water/air intercooler. It looks as if your piggyback system will work just fine and save me a lot of money over a stand-alone system. Also, please advise me if the FTC1 will enable me to still have sequential injector firing. Thanks, Ralph

9/7/2004:
Ralph, you will need the FTC1-019E and a set of larger injectors. You may need a larger fuel pump, but that depends on what you have. You will also need a decent lambda meter to measure your air/fuel ratios. The FTC1 will not change the way your injectors are fired by the stock ECU. Regards, Mark Amarandos, Split Second

9/7/2004:
Mark: Thanks for the reply. I'd like to place an order within the next week or so. Can you please reply with a price for the FTC1-019E, and any other parts I will need such as the R4 software and wire harness to interface with my Jeep's ECM? By the way, I've just obtained a 1999 intake manifold. I'm thinking about finding a wire harness and OBDII computer, as well. Will this change the items I will need from you? Thanks, Ralph

9/8/2004:
Ralph, The FTC1-019E costs $579. The only thing you will need to get it working is a serial cable to go between the FTC1 and your laptop. The FTC1 is normally used in conjunction with larger injectors. It does not matter if you convert to OBDII. Regards, Mark Amarandos

I must be reading this incorrectly. But all this thing does is change the rev limiter and governor.

Anyone bothered to take a look at what the revs are when they quote the amount of power in stock form and after.

If I am not mistaken dont these engines produce most of their torque and power at lower rpms then in the higher revs.

So does this mean this thing is a waste of money and they are trying to sell us junk, by giving us bad data.

OK, here are the HP/TQ curves:

jeep00_04.jpg

jeep96_99.jpg

If you look at the '00-'04 4.0, the stock HP peak is at 4700rpm while the torque peak is at 2700rpm. With the Hypertech computer and 93 octane, these peaks are reduced to 4500rpm and 2400rpm respectively.
If you look at the '96-'99 4.0, the stock HP peak is at 4800rpm while the torque peak is at 3600rpm. With the Hypertech computer and 93 octane, these peaks are reduced to 4700rpm and 2700rpm respectively.
It seems to me that if those dyno plots are true, the Hypertech does a very good job. It also smooths out the dips in the stock HP curve.

dyno i am assuming that those charts are for rear wheel hp, because i thought that the 97-99 was 190hp and the 00+ was 195hp any thoughts on that or am i wrong. one other thing is that it will read codes. that in it self could justify half of the cost, then it dosnt seem so expencive. but then also why wouldn't you just be able to go to a dealer and have a tech modify the programing like the hypertech dose. im shure that any xj that was stated for law enforcement use would have a different ecm program with higher hp/torque ratings and the speed governer removed.

Yeah, the HP/TQ numbers on the Hypertech site were indeed recorded at the rear wheels.
Unfortunately the dealer doesn't have a performance computer reflash for the 4.0 so that's not an option. Even if they did, the Hypertech still has the advantage of being able to compensate for changes in tire size and rear axle gearing. That it can also read codes is just the icing on the cake.
I just hope that Hypertech produce a programmer for the OBD I 4.0's so I can get one. I doubt that will happen though because the OBD I computer cannot be reprogrammed (unless Hypertech can crack it). You have to replace the PROM chip inside the computer with another chip that has the performance programming e.g ASE chip.

so do you think it would be a wise buy then? also how about the 190hp for 97/99 and 195hp for the 00/01's am i right or is it just 190hp for all 97+ 4.0's.

The '99+ 4.0 in the WJ was rated at 195hp/230lbft, the '00+ 4.0 in the XJ was rated at 193hp/231lbft, and the '01+ 4.0 in the TJ was rated at 190hp/235lbft. The engines are basically the same. Maybe the cam timing was slightly more advanced in the TJ to give it more bottom end torque for wheeling offroad.
I think the Hypertech would be a good buy as long as you don't expect it to produce big HP gains. The main benefits will be better response, smoother power delivery, the ability to compensate for rear axle gear or tire size changes, and the ability to raise the top speed and rev limiters.

Unfortunately for us Cherokee types, the model of Hypertech for our trucks won't change the shift points or compensate for the axle ratio/tire size. :(

I understand that it is not a super charger, or turbo, and would not make those kinds of power. I was thinking more on the lines of a good base for making better use of a header with high flow exuast, the throttle body boring, maby a mild cam, and a port and polish on the heads. Also I am thinking of having my tb done soon should i just go ahead and replace the IAC and TPS insted of trying to clean them? I hear about a lot of trouble on the cleaning approch. And is that a mod that will be good to do with nothing else, or should I think of doing a adjustable map sensor too.

if you do get one, please let me know, I'm wanting to get one myself but i want to see your review. if it infact "smooths" the curve and reads the codes then it might be worth the investment.

good luck

spazegun2213 said:
if you do get one, please let me know, I'm wanting to get one myself but i want to see your review. if it infact "smooths" the curve and reads the codes then it might be worth the investment.

good luck
If I do I will post the results for shure. But I have to say it will be awhile. I have to get a slip yoke eliminator soon, because as my rear springs are getting broke in the vibes are getting worse. I'm assuming it is axle wrap that is causing it.

Dr. Dyno said:
OK, here are the HP/TQ curves:

jeep00_04.jpg

jeep96_99.jpg

QUOTE]

Yeah, I highly doubt those graphs. Thats like 25 Rear wheel lb.ft. of torque.

Look at the RPMS.
They are giving us bad info.
These are 4 stroke engines and have most of thier power at lower revs as opposesed to the 2 stroke engines which have thier power higher up in the higher band.
Now if they were to quote hp/torque numbers at the same rpm it would give us a better assesment of how much more/little amount of power we get.

Wait dont our 4 litre inline 6 in stock form produce 110 hp and 210 ft/lbs at l,000 rpm? So how is it producing below 50?

HOLD ON A SECOND, are they using the same measurments on the graph to show hp and torque?? What kind of graph is this??? You cant have hp and torque be exactly the same amount throughout the whole rpm band! They're showing us what we get with different amounts of gas, but look the right and left of this so called graph. They're not showing us hp/torque curves. Its all bad data!

Last edited:
Oops look like I was reading the numbers wrong. I thought the left was both hp/torque from stock and the right was with the hypertech. That graph though is still kinda screwy.
So somehow with a gain of 80 rpms the numbers fall way down? I still dont see how a stock 4 litre can have below 50 hp/torque but with this hypertech it can all the way up to 175 just above 1,000 rpm.
Anyone bothered trying to plot the points on the graph they are showing us.
At 3,000 the numbers are 100 stock and about 180 with hypertech. Yet they say 146 and 159. Yet the "stocks" are not that high until close to 4,000 and the hypertech never gets down to 150 until 5,000.

Back