• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Indy area odometer service

crystalship1

NAXJA Forum User
Hi fellas (and ladies)!!!

Anybody know where I can get the odo in my '97 Sport reset to match the actual vehicle miles at a REASONABLE cost?

I did a idiot light to full guage swap-out and there's about 30K more miles on the guage cluster than is actually on my XJ.

I've had no luck at stealerships who look at me as if I had three heads when I ask. (I don't BTW) They claim that they only do new cluster replacements and thier burned by Chrysler before it's sent to them.

One guy quoted me $250......... YEAH ...... RIGHT!!!! ... :-O

In the end if I can't get it done for $40 - $50, I'll just live with it but it kinda bugs me. The voices in my head tell me it's not right. ;-P

Anybody buy one of those $500 odo programmers off eBay and want to re-coup a quick $50????

Thanks!!!! ................. :)

Why not look in the yellow pages under speedometers or speedometer calibaration. Depending on the state they may be the requirement to file a form with the State to document the odometer change. There has been lots of odometer fraud, that why you are finding it diffucult to get the new cluster set to your current mileage.

I hope you are still using the factory instrument cluster. You will prob have to pay the shop who does the recalibration to change out your instrument cluster. I imagine who ever does the work is bonded and will have to log the VIN of your XJ so they can prove it was a legal swap.

I did look.

Nada in Indy.

:-}

martin said:
Why not look in the yellow pages. Depending on the state they may be the requirement to file a form with the State to document the odometer change. There has been lots of odometer fraud, that why you are finding it diffucult to get the new cluster set to your current mileage.

I hope you are still using the factory instrument cluster. You will prob have to pay the shop who does the recalibration to change out your instrument cluster. I imagine who ever does the work is bonded and will have to log the VIN of your XJ so they can prove it was a legal swap.

Then you need to move to another town. There is speedometer shop here and there are only 300,000 people in Madison County AL.

Is there something unique about the XJ odometer that makes it unique over other standard odometer designs out there? On my CJ odo, you can wiggle the cylinders around and change the numbers as needed. Of course, that only went up to 99,999.9 miles and I went through three of them before finding one that worked...

Uhhhh........... "Wiggle the cyinders" ???????

What does that mean????

This is a digital odo. .

:-}

QUOTE=Yucca-Man]Is there something unique about the XJ odometer that makes it unique over other standard odometer designs out there? On my CJ odo, you can wiggle the cylinders around and change the numbers as needed. Of course, that only went up to 99,999.9 miles and I went through three of them before finding one that worked...[/QUOTE]

Well, that answers my unasked question. I guess the XJ odometer went to the digital readout in '97. Bummer...sorry, no other ideas outside what's been forwarded already.

Back