• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird popping noise from rear end when braking

CherokeeGold

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody know what may be causing this sound? Only occurs when braking in my 99 XJ. Kind of a muffled intermittent popping sound from the rear end. Rear drum brakes.

Thanks.

I have that too, but I converted to discs. The axle has C-clips that have a tiny bit of lateral give. If you jack it up and push the tire in and out you'll see. I think it is normal, just another XJ charm!

I have had the same thing for about 8,000 miles on my '98. I was told the same thing about the axles, but whenever I pull the drum off and spray brake cleaner on everything to get it nice and clean, the popping goes away for quite a while. Maybe that bit of brake dust makes the difference in the axle slop. Know what I mean?

Burley

I have a 93 and also have the same problem....however I was told that the popping comes from the rear drums needing to be turned......a buddy of mine who I work with is a technician...he told me exactly what was happening but it went way over my head....I'm doing the rear brakes next weekend so I'll post with the results.....good luck!!

I too have a '99 XJ making a noise during breaking.
In my case, it is the drum making contact with the brake dust shield. The noise is not immediate, only after the brakes have 'warmed up' a bit. The last guy that did my brakes took a mallet to get the drum off (I couldn't get out of the waiting room fast enough when I saw what he was doing) and he hit the dust shield, bending slightly so that it contacts the drum slightly.

later,
Ronnie

piperRonnie said:
I too have a '99 XJ making a noise during breaking.
In my case, it is the drum making contact with the brake dust shield. The noise is not immediate, only after the brakes have 'warmed up' a bit. The last guy that did my brakes took a mallet to get the drum off (I couldn't get out of the waiting room fast enough when I saw what he was doing) and he hit the dust shield, bending slightly so that it contacts the drum slightly.

later,
Ronnie
waranty on the parts and labor there? yikes!:conceitedi'd :passgas:if i saw that happening to my baby...

Back