• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radio washed away!

BigDadys94xj

NAXJA Forum User
The last 2 days we here in upstate NY have been getting **** pounded with rain. So yesterday on my way to work I was driving down the road in the dark,rain ,and fog (doing about 60) when I hit a spot in the road that was being washed out. The water going across the road was about 12in.deep and about 50' wide well you can use your imagination to figure out what happened when I hit that doing about 60mph. My 94xj made it through the to the other side with out stalling or sucking in any water (suprisingly) but when I got through it my radio quit working. Now by quit working I mean it wont pick up any radio stations the tape deck work and plays fine my aftermarket cd changer works fine but it wont pick up any stations. any ideas? thanks in advance for any help. (by the way I did check the antenna wire from the out side all the wasy to the radio no problems).

I had poor radio reception on my '96. The antenna wire is in two sections, where it passes through the kick panel on the passenger side it had come loose. I cleaned the connector and plugged the wires back together, then put a tie-wrap on it to hold it together.
Hope this helps.

There is a junction behind the front passenger kick panel that might have come loose. This happened to me and I thought it was the radio. It's better than putting in a new radio and finding out that didn't fix the problem like me.

Hope this helps

There could be a flaw somewhere in the cable or the antenna itself that has caused the antenna lead to ground out against the cable shielding when it got soaked. I'd start by pulling out the radio enough to reach the antenna connector there, stick a stout piece of wire into the socket, and see if there's a hint of reception. If there is, you know it's in the antenna or leadin, not the radio.

Back