• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What size DOM Tubing

Nik

NAXJA Forum User
What is the best size for DOM tubing for a track bar and new over the knuckle steering. I am using 3/4 heims and have a front 60 with 39.5 Iroks. What would be the best tube size without being overkill, but sooper beefy.

Cost? per foot

BEEZ, Crash, WOODY, Mark?

I did search just wanted an opinion.

Cheers,

Nik

are you using weld bungs that have an ID specific dimension?

I've made a couple tracbars for a few set-ups. wall thickness doesn't have to be crazy-thick.

.120 is reasonable, .188 removes all doubt, but could be considered overkill. I would use .120 for straigh link tracbars, and .188 if I had to throw mild bends into it. depending on the threaded adapters you plan to use, 1.5 or 1.75 diameter would be fine.

the last time I priced .120 wall 1.75 dia dom was in march, and it was running 1.54 a foot.

I wouldn't pay more than 2.50 a foot for it, even now.

don't let those bastards at the mills or wharehouses convince you of some desperate shortage.

fight the power. they're playing games.

I just purchased 500,000 lbs of coiled wire product for .38 a pound...thats not much more expensive than it was 6 months ago.......all these fawkers are trying to make up for thier losses from the first quarter. be aggresive.

I need to shop where Beezil shops :(
I just made my tracbar and draglink out of 1.5" .120 wall Chromoly.
It was 4.94/ft.
Steel prices are up for walkins. Having an account like you do , beezil allows you some bargaining room.
I shopped all day yesterday, internet and local for .250 / 2" .
No one would even talk to me without a 20ft minimum order and 8$/ft

THE_OWL said:
I need to shop where Beezil shops :(
I just made my tracbar and draglink out of 1.5" .120 wall Chromoly.
It was 4.94/ft.
Steel prices are up for walkins. Having an account like you do , beezil allows you some bargaining room.
I shopped all day yesterday, internet and local for .250 / 2" .
No one would even talk to me without a 20ft minimum order and 8$/ft

thats when you guys call, you need to masquerade as "so-in-so" from a some ficticious important-sounding company, reffering to yourself as a "purchasing agent" and you are trying to secure bid on some large qty. order. tell them your deliveried cannot support a purchase from the mill

recieve the bids, and then call and explain that you have to do some prototype work, if they can hold the price at the 1000 ft. qty for your "one-off" needs

see if that works.

I have no compasion for wharehouses or thier tactics, especially nowdays. I don't get my materials from wharehouses geneally, I get them from mills, and thats the difference, but wharehouses are still playing the "steel shortage" game, and the little guy normally doesn't have the resources to challenge these people. Beat them at thier game, even if it means tricking them.

My shop can't even get close to DOM in that size range for under $3.50 a foot. And A36 plate is $.43 a pound. That's in any quantity from 3500# up to 38000#. Now, buying from a mill would cut it down, but it'd take us far too long for go through the material, much less comtemplating storage for the minumum 120000# order they require.

But, on a brighter note, I used 1.75" x .188" wall for my tracbar and it has 2 subtle bends in it. Been holding up very well after 2 decent wheeling trips. No complaints.

-Rich

DOM really isn't needed for this application. You can save by going to electric seamed tube instead. You'll never know the difference

Back