• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Problems!!!

jeep7945

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 91 Cherokee limited. The people I bought it from sold it because they thought it needed a transmission. When it went out they were driving it in 4 wheel drive, went home parked and came out the next morning and they started the car and put it in gear and it did nothing. They said that it did not slip or anything before that happened. I have already checked the fuse and the fluid.
-Mike

it was snowy outside so they had it in 4 wheel drive on the street. when you put it in gear the motor sounds like it does but it doesnt do nothing. you cant feel it engage or hear it.

If the motor noise changes/drops it apparently is recognizing that it is in gear so my guess is that the tured it a lot on a dry surface and bound the driveline up. Try moving the 4wd shift level around. Have someone shake the Jeep and rev it up a little something has to give.

OK. today i pulled of the transmisson pan so i could check to make sure everything in there was working fine. It was shifting into all the gears but still wouldnt go anywhere. Could it be the transfer case or maybe something electrical,cause the motor sounds like it goes into gear but the tranny doesnt click or make any kind of reaction.
-Mike

Weird thought - is it possible that the t-case is in Neutral?

Back