• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Stalling Issues

MATTVW65

NAXJA Forum User
OK THIS IS A CUT AND PASTE SORRY IF IT DOES NOT MAKE SENCE............

I have a 91 4.0 5 speed.
when on the gas fairly hard 3000 + rpm. the while jeep lurches like it just dropped the tranny. then back fires and dies. pull over to the side of the road wait less than a min. it will start back up and im on my marry way. just as long as i do not open her up. i just got back from a 5000 + mile trip. drove the jeep to florida from utah. and no problems the whole time. was out side of evenston wyoming. when this started. seems to be getting worse.

matt

and it is not a cat
there is a story to that one i can tell you that is not the problem

let me tell you a story sorry abought the spelling

tuesday night i was driving from riverdale to
layton the freeway entrance from riverdale is kind of one when you get out of
the loop you get on the throttle it startted to bog as i entered the freeway it
drove normal i continued south bound twords
layton i wasalmost to the 1rst clear fild exit when it started to bog and
sputter i applyed moer gas that was when it back fired then stalled abought
that time i noticed the floor on the passenger side smoking i pulled
over !! ripped the fire extengusher out and started pulling the carpet back as
much as i could ......... i took a look under the jeep and the cat was cherry
red the under coating on the jeep was on fire!!! just abought
that time a car had pulled over to give me a hand it was a older guy he said he was fowoling me and my jeep was dropping fire balls out the exzaust!!! hitting the cement and spreading like spatter from a cutting torch abought a 1/4 mile down the road it had cought the grass on fire i had the fire department ther soon after and utah highway patrool theay got the grass fire put out asked me if i was fine i have allready called my dad to come and give me a tow home .........

when i got home i pulled the cat out the hunny comb was totaly
melted so i went to a frinds to have him help me fab up a quick fix pice of 2
1/2 exzaust pipe were the cat was then took it for a test drive i got abought 2 miles away when it stalled out same sutdder pop and died
so that was not the problem it was destoried becouse of my problem i have
orderd a new cat off e bay and will install it asap for all you enviromentle guys

ok........ still have the problem ........
here is the list of the things i have changed

o2 sensor mopar
cps mopar
ballast resisitor mopar
cat magna flow
fuel filter car quest
had the fuel press checked all good there. i was on my way to slc when it died last i was not on the throttle i was just cursing 70 ish did not want to melt my new cat down so i just coasted to the emergencey lane ....... it took for ever to fire up not like before where when i stopped it would just fiire up it took probaly around 20 minutes or so i have taken it to the local dealership and had the computer codes checked the only codes were o2 and the ballast resistor?
plese help

matt

Sounds like a distributor problem to me. Mabey a cam position sensor (inside the dist.) Also check for a cracked dist. cap.

logdog said:
Sounds like a distributor problem to me. Mabey a cam position sensor (inside the dist.) Also check for a cracked dist. cap.

I WAS TOLD THAT THE CAM POSITION SENSOR WAS ONLY USED ON START UP THAN WAS NO LONGER NEEDED? "BY THE JEEP DEALER SHIP"

MATT

You may have some injector sticking open causing an overly rich condition. Have you pulled your plugs and checked their condition? also when it stalls have you tried restarting it with your foot to the floor?

On the flip side it could also be a lean condition, you said the fuel pressure was checked what about the volume?

What specific codes were set? they can help you figure out if it is running rich or lean.

What did the tech scanning the codes say? we are an opiniated bunch so normaly he would give you some suggestions.

Back