• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25" Questions

buckeye_1

NAXJA Forum User
1. I found an 8.25 from a 99 XJ. This is the 29 spline shafts if I'm correct. Will this axel handle 35" sneakers?

2. Is $400 a fair price.

3. From what I understand, this is a bolt on swap correct? No relocating of mounting surfaces or anything else.

To hard to hard to find a Dana 44 around here and I prefer to just bolt on. I just want something strong enough to run 33's or 35's without having to worry about them breaking all the time.

A 29 spline 8.25 will handle 35s nicely, I ran a detroit locked 29 spline 8.25 with 37" swampers for about a year with no problems what so ever, wheeled the hardest places in the southeast, 35s wont be a problem, but $400 sounds pretty steep

yes it will be fine, I ran into a guy at Paragon that has 35" mtr's and a detroit, and was hammering on it allday on the rocks there and it didn't even sweat. The only thing bad about the 8.25, besides the "crush-sleeve":anon:, is lowest you can go in gearing is 4.56. I know people will tell you its a weak axle, but it should live fine with 33's and 35's

$400 is way to much for an 8.25. i found myself front & rear waggy 44s for $275 for the pair, so i wouldn't pay much more than $125 for an 8.25.

$400 is a terrible price, thats high even for an 8.8, and like the others said, in a 44 price range. I was trying to sell a complete 8.25 from a 97' cherokee about a month ago and i didn't even get bites when i priced it at $75. Keep looking and don't pay more than $200 for a stock one.

Unless your axle is geared the way you want it, and has some traction aiding device, try and find another. I paid less than that for mine, and it had 4.10s and an Auburn.

Fergie

whats a crush sleeve

To help you make a descion, at some point jeep changed the lug patern. I am not sure what year,(97-00) butt some one here I am sure can tell you what year for sure.

changed the lug pattern? Either im smoking crack or he is... 5 on 4.5 practically since the beginning of time... the only different pattern since the beginning of the 90s that i know of is the new WJ's... YJ, TJ, XJ, MJ, ZJ, KJ all have 5 on 4.5 where i thinkg the new WJs are 5 on 5.5 or something retarded like that....

JeepinAudiophile said:
changed the lug pattern? Either im smoking crack or he is... 5 on 4.5 practically since the beginning of time... the only different pattern since the beginning of the 90s that i know of is the new WJ's... YJ, TJ, XJ, MJ, ZJ, KJ all have 5 on 4.5 where i thinkg the new WJs are 5 on 5.5 or something retarded like that....
CJs were 5 on 5.5"

The crush sleeve is a colapsable metal collar in between the two bearings on the pinion. When you install the nut for the pinion yoke and tighten it the bearings will be loose.You tighten till the sleeve "crushes" (collapses) enough to put the proper amount of preload on the bearings. I really don't have a problem with a cruch sleeve set up. I've never had a problem with them and if you need to pull the pinion yoke paying attention to the torque setting and amount of bearing preload should keep you from over crushing the sleeve. JMHO though.

C clips on the other hand are a negitive of the 8.25. If a shaft where to break there is no way to keep it in the tube. There for it must be repaired before you proceed. Unlike the 44 which is a non c-clip style so in therory you should be able to limp off the trail.

The 8.25 also has a lip on the bottom that seems to hang up on every rock on the trail, ask me how I know. The 44 has a smoother bottom.

Other than that the 8.25 is strong and puts up with lots of abuse from my expeirience. But $400 is too much. I payed $350 for mine with 4.56's installed, a LSD, and matching 4.56 front gears.

HTH,
B-loose

Yucca-Man said:
CJs were 5 on 5.5"
** Which is why they were not on my list... but i should have mentioned that, my bad.**
edit: on the same note, i also mentioned 90s up...

Last edited:
After reading it again, if your response was to that i called the 5 on 5.5" retarded... the reasoning is that I tried to put a WJ rim on my cherokee, and to my dismay it did not fit... also why change it when every other vehicle they make has the same bolt pattern?

I think it was your "or something retarded like that" comment that drew my attention to your list. With the extra inch of bolt circle, they are theoretically stronger rims than a 5 on 4.5"...

Edited to add:
Just saw that you added another reply. I don't know why they changed i to the larger size, but I have my suspicions. D-C dropped the high-pinion D30 front axle from the Cherokee for the 2000 model year while all the time assuring us that it would remain in production. They used the TJ low-pinion axle instead and so were able to get rid of another legacy Cherokee part. By changing the bolt pattern I believe that aligns with several of the Dodge truck sizes, so expect to see more similarity between the two lines as time goes on. I've already seen several reports that the new Durango and new Grand Cherokee look like siblings...

Last edited:
The 8.25 is a good axle. I've certainly proved that along with many other people. I replaced mine with a 8.8 just to get the disk brakes. That axle (8.8)in "PLACES" (capitalized to emphathize that it is not overall equal to a D60) is equal to the D60 in terms of strength. If you are going to spend $400 then get a 8.8 (Ipaid $200) and get disk brakes and greater strength. They are also a lot easier to replace the gears in. The 8.25 can be difficult unless you use an instauler that does a lot of them.
One advantage of the 8.25 is that the axles are easy to swap out if they do break (never seen one, however) and are of equal length so you only have to carry one.

Sorry it took so long to get back to ya'll. Thanks for all the great info. I think my buddy has me talked into the 8.8 instead. They are plentiful around here and I can find them at good prices.

I have a lead on an 8.25 with 4.56's a detroit and the 29 spline shafts.....

what would you guys pay for an axle like this?

not trying to hijack the thread, figured it would be a pretty good place to ask.

thanks

Back