• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NAPA vs. Master Ride quality?

kevin s

NAXJA Forum User
NAPA usually has a couple different price points on parts. I am looking at tie rod ends at the moment and they have the NAPA Chassis Parts for $35 and the Master Ride for $20. Beyond "you get what you pay for", can you really tell a difference in quality? Or is this a Made in USA vs. Made in China kind of thing?

kevin s said:
NAPA usually has a couple different price points on parts. I am looking at tie rod ends at the moment and they have the NAPA Chassis Parts for $35 and the Master Ride for $20. Beyond "you get what you pay for", can you really tell a difference in quality? Or is this a Made in USA vs. Made in China kind of thing?

I used to work at NAPA, and from what I remember (been a few years), its a USA/ China thing. I would go with the Chassis Parts, or look around for MOOG stuff. I also think the Chassis Parts stuff where DANA/SPICER made. One thing I can say about NAPA stuff is that the "cheap" stuff, really is "cheap" stuff.

My threads suck. Either boring or self evident, I guess.

Looks like I will spend the xtra $$ for the good stuff. Going to get a HD Tie Rod from AJ at ajsoffroadarmor.com. and get the the NAPA ends. Still ruminating on what to do for the drag link. NAPA, dealer, or Currie.

Thanks for the help, Ludakris.

Let's see if we can get this thread moving here ... some may disagree with this philosophy:

Have you checked with Mopar .. and considered using OEM parts ?

That's ALL I will buy with exception to "spark plugs" and aftermarket parts for modifications...

The more "replacement parts" volume that's taken away from Mopar ... the more DC obsoletes OEM parts due to slow moving inventory.

There's a caveat to this ... let's see if someone points out the obvious.

Good luck with the thread.

Good point. I do use Mopar parts quite a bit. I picked up new bumpstops and some rear track bar bushings last week. In replacing the shocks, I broke 1 out of 4 in the rear, so I innocently asked for some new bolts - they have been discontinued. How do you discontinue a bolt?

The AJ's tie rod is 1.5" dom tubing that takes beefier dodge truck ends. The Currie rod is 1-1/4" and uses stock Mopar ends. The Mopar is what, 1/2" or so? Beefier is better (isn't it always? LOL).

I WILL check with the Mopar Man for the new drag link. A complete drag link setup from Currie is $199. Even Mopar can't be much more than that.

kevin s said:
Good point. I do use Mopar parts quite a bit. I picked up new bumpstops and some rear track bar bushings last week. In replacing the shocks, I broke 1 out of 4 in the rear, so I innocently asked for some new bolts - they have been discontinued. How do you discontinue a bolt?
Get your fasteners here:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=269016&postcount=1

kevin s said:
I WILL check with the Mopar Man for the new drag link. A complete drag link setup from Currie is $199. Even Mopar can't be much more than that.
This is a modification .... okay to use aftermarket !!

Good luck with it.

I want to say that I do try to use OEM stuff when it is feasable. I work in the automotive industry and its dealers that pay the bills, and I started out at a dodge dealer (still get a discount). But you have to admit, some stuff is just rediculously priced at the dealer. If were talking a few bucks, I always go dealer, sometimes just the ease of installation is worth it.

how about "Nascar" and "Certified" where would they be made for tie rods??

(Yes i know this is an old thread i just found that was some useful info so i decided to continue it.,)

On ebay I found a great deal on Moog TRE's

Back