• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adapting a cj bellhousing to the 4.0l

CW

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I am going to pick up a cj t150 bellhousing so I can bolt a np435 and np205 up. What will I have to do to be able to use this with the 4.0L. I know I will have to make a provision for the CPS. Has anyone ever done this?

you can buy the MOPAR front mount CPS bracket and harmonic balancer (about $175) or you can drill a hole in the bellhousing and fab a bracket to hold the CPS. I tried mounting one with epoxy but it loosened up - probably need to insert some screws before applying the epoxy to give it something to hold too.
I have the front CPS bracket P50007046 (new in box) for sale if you decide to go that way. I bought it but ended up using a MSD ignition and pickup instead.

How does the front mount cps work? I am thinking I will just use the original bellhousing for reference and cut a slot out and then drill and tap it for the bolts.

www.novak-adapt.com will machine the bellhousing for you. to run the 435 you will need the special ford tranny to amc engine pilot bushing, which novak also sells
Here is part of my shipping order for the bushing:

6932A 1 Bushing, pilot, AMC engine to Ford T18 & NP435 transmissions $16.50
Subtotal $16.50
Shipping $4.80
Tax 0.00
Total $21.30

I am running a 435 with ford dana20 behind it, swap was pretty simple once you figure the cps out.

Back