• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Trackbar question...

xjfish

NAXJA Forum User
Alright I need to get my front end lift on soon as driving around with 5" of lift in the rear with 225s is getting me a lot of weird looks... Anyways since I'm cheap I was wondering if I could redrill for the stock one and get things centered with about 4.75in of lift? I've heard it done with about 3" but don't know if about 5" could be centered properly? If so how far for this height will I have to drill to the drivers side? Also about how far up? Or does it vary for different vehicles? I would like to get an adjustable bar later after redrilling and would like to use the stock mounting hole, can I safely do this without welding? Not looking for perfect centering but hopefully within 1/2" or so...

Thanks in advace for your help!
Also my stock one has a little bit of play on the drivers side mount? Is this normal?

I don't know if this is what you want to hear, but my opinon is that if your stock track bar has play replace with adjustable aftermarket. With that much lift it will make the play much more significent. Any time I have ever seen the redrilled stock bar with more than 4 inches of lift the result is massive bump steer, sometimes to the point of being very dangerous. I know you said you dont want to buy a new track bar, but after you do this I think you will wish you had. I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but just my observation

Hey I'm open to all opinions, especially the ones that are probably right. Like yours! Thanks! Has anyone had any luck drilling for about +5"? Also I wanted to know if i could revert back the the original hole very easily if the redrilling didn't work out or I wanted to switch later?

There's only so far you can go -- about 5/8" to 3/4" over, and that's about right for approximately a 3" to 4" lift. You just can't go any farther because there's no metal beyond that. You can get close to centered for a 5" lift, but it won't be perfect.

Yeah, the original hole is there so you can always go back. Just remember the old carpenter's adage: "Measure twice to cut once." You only get one try at this, so do it right the first time.

well I am at about 5" of lift and I drilled mine over a 1/2" and the axle was way off center so I put it in the stock location and now it is about 1/4" to the passanger side. I dont know why but I aint gonna hurt a bad thing

Like I said in my earlier post, If you have any slop in your trackbar, then a lift will make it 100 times worse. You could replace the stock track bar to get rid of the slack, but why when a replacment is not much more? Like I said before, probaly not what you want to hear butt my opinon. You will wish you had done it right after the bum steet that will happen after a few weeks. Just an input, Not the end all truth.

xjfish said:
Also my stock one has a little bit of play on the drivers side mount? Is this normal?

Ok tell me if my stock bar is shot: I can grab the tracbar and jerk it to side to side and it won't move at all. However, on the drivers side joint or whatever it will move straight up and down about 1/8"-1/4" under that rubber boot. I will try tightening the bolt later (PB soakin now) but I kinda dought that will help...

xjfish said:
Ok tell me if my stock bar is shot: I can grab the tracbar and jerk it to side to side and it won't move at all. However, on the drivers side joint or whatever it will move straight up and down about 1/8"-1/4" under that rubber boot. I will try tightening the bolt later (PB soakin now) but I kinda dought that will help...
The rod end (ANY rod end) should be able to rotate, but should have zero lateral play and zero vertical play. If you can move it up and down, either the tapered stud isn't tight, or the joint is shot.

Back