• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help with pressing in bearings...

freerider15

NAXJA Forum User
Well I replaced the roller bearing that the front yoke sits in about a month ago. Well I went and cracked my T-case open, which I have done enough, and removed the whole T-case now to be very familiar with it . When I opened it up all the bearing's rollers fell right out, and the bearing was shot. I had it brand new, and had it pressed in at a machine shop. I called the place I got the bearing from and asked them why it did it, and they said you have to make sure to have it pressed in on the numbers???, or else it will freeze up. Im going to go get my new bearing pressed in tomorrow morning, how can I make sure this one doesn't freeze up, and will go on smooth on the yoke?

save your money, you don't need to outsource that!!!!

do it yourself.

you don't need to have it "pressed".

I've rebuilt a lot of t-cases, and I've NEVER seen that roller bearing fall apart.

I'm skeptical about the place that pressed it in in the first place.

Check for signs that "they" didnt Fubar something up when they did the work.The only difficult part is getting the old bearing out!

RCP Phx said:
Check for signs that "they" didnt Fubar something up when they did the work.The only difficult part is getting the old bearing out!

its easy!

the ONLY time.....and I mean the ONLY time I use a dremel is on that bearing.

all you have to do is grind the roller cage on one side and collapse the bearing inward to decrease its outer dimension.

It takes me about two minutes to deal with it.

freerider15 said:
I would press it in myslef but i don't have anything that I know of to do it with. Is the any way to do it without and special tools?

warm up the rear case half by dipping the end of it into a 5gal bucket of hot water.

freeze the bearing for a 1/2 hour.

remove both, coat the outside of the bearing in oil (atf) place the bearing above the bore making sure it is straight. using a socket that has an outer dimjension only slightly smaller than the bearing, but still big enough that the socket fits well on the circumf. of the bearing, tap it into place with a deadblow, or carefully with a hammer...IMPORTANT: make sure the rear case half is resting on a solid worksurface when you are working....

nothing to it.

someone obviously has convinced you that this was a job for rocket scientists. they deserve to be slapped.

Back