• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Got Brakes?"

AJ-MJ

NAXJA Forum User
As normal, I have done various searches and research before asking my questions. Well, it is an acepted fact the best upgrage to a pre 95 jeep is to install a 95 or 96 power booster and master cylinder.

Since I have a 1990 Comanche, 4X4, 4.0 L with 33X12.50s that should help.

Now, the real question is should I upgrade the front rotors and brake pads too?

And secondly, who has done the rear ZJ disc converstion and is it worth it.

I am also looking for name brands and vendors for parts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! :looney:

2 things are big improvements
Replace the front rubber lines with new ones or SS AN-3 replacements - made about 40 feet stopping distance improvement over the old balooning originals.
Replace the front pads with Performance Friction Carbon fiber (?) pads (Auto Zone and others) they stop quicker and last longer (I have 65K and 4 years on mine) and they are still more than half the original thickness.
The 95 booster is not that big an improvement - altho I haven't measured it - I was at 152' from 60 MPH before I installed it - I'd guess maybe 10' better than the early original.

Yeah, I'd go with what Salemi says there except I really didn't like the Performace Friction pads. They needed to be heated up pretty good before there was much bite. I don't know, maybe my rotors were the problem.
Last Friday I overhauled my entire brake system on my '90 with new calipers, turned rotors, Raybestos pads, put in a new master cylinder about a year ago, dialed in the rear brakes on the D44 and now it stops on a dime. I can lock it up pretty easily now with 31" tires.
I'll get to replacing the stock front lines here one of these days.

Back