• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33's on 4.25" lift and cut fenders?

dandecicco

NAXJA Forum User
OK here is what I have done. 3" tuff country lift, 3/4" coil spacers in front, 1.25" shackles in rear, cut to pinch welds in rear fender and way up in front and bent back metal. I have 15X10R15 rockcrawlers with 4.5 back spacing. Will 33's fit without rubbing and/or do I need to increase my bump stops?

I know this has been done to death, but I wanted to know specifics about my set up and I can only gather bits and pieces from other posts. Thanks

I ran 4wd hardwares 3" with 3/4" spacers up front, and a 1" block in the rear..
I ran 33's and they stuffed pretty good, I would extend the bump stops a little more..

do it flex it out and measure how much you'll need

I have the RE 4.5" super flex lift and 32x11.5" BFG-MTs on 15x8 steel rims with 4.5" backspacing on my 1999 XJ. I have added a half inch more backspacing in the front in addition to the stops that came with the lift (2" I think but I don't remember) and I am still having problems with rubbing at full stuff in the front.

I probably would have problems in the back but the Ford 8.8" axle is a little narrower than stock axles. The 32's stuff without trimming but just barely rub on the plastic bumper caps.

I still have a little more room I can get in the front by shortening my control arms. However, I will still probably have to add even more to the bump stops. I might try adding a 0.25" wheel spacer in the front also. The 4.5" backspacing works great in the back with the narrower axle but is a little too much in the front.

-Brian

BTW: My unstanding is that the pre '97's have less trouble.

dandecicco said:
OK here is what I have done. 3" tuff country lift, 3/4" coil spacers in front, 1.25" shackles in rear, cut to pinch welds in rear fender and way up in front and bent back metal. I have 15X10R15 rockcrawlers with 4.5 back spacing. Will 33's fit without rubbing and/or do I need to increase my bump stops?

I know this has been done to death, but I wanted to know specifics about my set up and I can only gather bits and pieces from other posts. Thanks

I should add that I have also trimmed my fenders. I've trimmed up to the seam just below the fender mounting bracket bolt holes. I will be able to clear the outer fender fine with the extra 0.5 backspacing, shorter arms and trimming. However, unless I lengthen the bumpstops the wheel will still rub on the inside of the fender - under the battery/airbox

-Brian

I should have told the date, its an 87. I have also hacked the hell out of the front and up to the pinch weld in back. So 4.5" lift, 15x8 with 4.5 bs on 33's probably will rub too much? I can cut more out if I have too.
Anyone?

i have a similar setup, except i have a 4"bs rim, i run 31's but could run 33's probably without adding to my bumpstops, but i would have to try it out just to make sure. after gears i will be running 33's with my setup. just go for it

I have 32's on 4.5'' of lift, so this wont help you very much, but you can look at my Jeep here.
I have enough room right now for 33's which Im going to after the 32's are done.
Like Ramsey said, flex yours out and see where it stops and get some stops for that length.

I have 35's on 5" of lift.... it works... i have a 1999 with hacked fenders

Your biggest problem might be the 10" wheels. They are going to stick out 2" further than 8" wheels. The front wheels will swing wider when turning and may be a problem at the rear of the front fender.

MaXJohnson said:
Your biggest problem might be the 10" wheels. They are going to stick out 2" further than 8" wheels. The front wheels will swing wider when turning and may be a problem at the rear of the front fender.
If the backspace remains the same, a 10" rim will stick out 1" farther than an 8" rim.

Starboard M , I see that you are in the Bay Area and run Hollister, I am thinking about going there in the next few weeks, want to join? (it will give me a chance to take a look at the rig and how well 32's fit)

It should be fine if you're willing to cut enough and use bumpstops. I'm sitting at between 4" and 4.5" in the front and I cut enough to barely squeeze 34"s in the front with stock CAs and I think I could fit 35"s with longer control arms. But for breakages sake I am going with 33"s ;)

Yucky-Man said:
If the backspace remains the same, a 10" rim will stick out 1" farther than an 8" rim.

time to sharpen your pencil, Yucky-Man

To hell with it! 33s all the way! 12 pack (mind you a 6 pack won't cut this job) and my saw zaw and grinder along with the big f.....ing hammer! No finders, like the rooster tail in the rain . . . now for some 4.56 gears, OX Locker in front to go along with the rear spool . Oh yeah, have to make that homemade posi-lock too. I can hear it now, "Honey, um we had some extra bills to pay this month so we have to eat Top Ramen for the rest of the month" . . .

Thanks for the replies.

Back