• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Con Ferr Rack and bike mounts

okcjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone installed the Con Ferr cargo basket with the bike mount they make? I was looking at the 48" x 62" Con Ferr rack and was wondering if two bikes would fit. Also, how sturdy and secure is the mount? The only drawback I can see is that you would not be able to lock the bike to the mount like one can with a Thule or Yakima mount. I guess you would have to use a cable lock. Any opinions?

Thanks!

Ok...There has got to be someone out there that has purchased this rack and used the bike mounts. I have searched everywhere (jeepforum, jeepsunlimited, ilovejeeps, and the internet) and have yet to find out anything about this configuration. If anybody has a link or personal experience, this would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks again!

HTH I don't have a con ferr rack, but I do have a garvin wilderness rack with the bike mount on it. I have two yakima viper racks on top. I have had no problem with them at all.

Thanks for the info. I actually just emailed Garvin a question with regards to their racks. I was wondering if it was possible to purchase a different size rack other than what they specify for the XJ. I was wanting something with the dimensions of 48"W x ~54"L x 6" that mounted to the factory roof rails. Maybe you may know this: Could I purchase a rack for a different make SUV and get the mounting kit for a 1999 XJ? Are the factory rail mounts specific to each individual rack? Thanks again for your reply!

That is the size of my roof rack, but I have mine mounted with the gutter mounts. Don't quote me on this, but I believe that the gutter mounts will be stronger than putting the rack on the factory roof rack. If this is not the way you want to go, I know when I bought mine I found places that sold the rack with the factory roof rack mounts, not the gutter. Whether or not if garvin still offers this, I don't know. By the way, have you looked at Warrior Products racks. They are one piece, and have read some good reviews on them. They too have mounts for bike racks like garvin.

Back