• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Transmission type?

BurtonUT

NAXJA Forum User
I know the arguments of Manual or Auto, but I guess you can bolt up an auto were a manual is, any way, the wife drives the xj, wants an auto, and I don't want to buy another jeep, its a 97 and I already have it started for an sweet weekend wheeler, is there any problems pron to the automatic and or how hard is the swap, any info or decent trannys let me know,

thanks

So you have a 97 daily driver for your wife with a manual tranny and she wants an automatic right?

An AW4 automatic is virtually bombproof, the word is there are Jeep dealerships that have never replaced one. Just regular maintainance and it should be trouble-free for years. I don't know the details of the swap, hopefully those who do will chime right in.

The swap itself is pretty straightforward. But be aware...you'll need to swap out computers too.

Am I going to have to stick with just that year for the swap or will I be able to go a bit newer like 98 or 99 And I need the computer aswell is that harder than a couple of plugs?
thanks

xjohnnyc said:
The swap itself is pretty straightforward. But be aware...you'll need to swap out computers too.
Actually I think that the manual computer might work with the TCM (tranny control modlule or something like that) cause the manual one i put it did receive the error codes from the TCM but when I did unplug the TCM it didn't throw any error codes while the autmatic PCM did.
Also you will need the TCM and an ALL NEW engine harness. Anyways, you'll probably also want "automatic" pedals so that you get the wider one for the brake.
Oh... and don't forget a new shifter and so on. Btw, the linkage for the tcase is slightly different between the two as well.
In any case the mechanical parto f the swap is rather easy, the rest is PITA. If I knew then what I knew now I would have bought an AX15 (manual) one from the getgo and didn't worry about the swap.

Back