• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LF Speaker dead

skyblue

NAXJA Forum User
just bought a 2000 XJ Limited and i notice that the left front speaker in the door doesn't work... no sound at all not even crackling sound like a busted speaker cone. so i'm thinking maybe it is just a loose connection at the speaker or the stereo. its probably easier to remove the stereo first and check the connection than to remove the door panel.. correct? how does the stereo come out? is there a step-by-step somewhere on the web?

thanks....

skyblue said:
just bought a 2000 XJ Limited and i notice that the left front speaker in the door doesn't work... no sound at all not even crackling sound like a busted speaker cone. so i'm thinking maybe it is just a loose connection at the speaker or the stereo.

Suspect the speaker connection or wiring first. It seems like a few of us with late-model XJs have had this problem (I did in my 2001) and it's turned out to be wiring-related. Places to check (in this order):

- In the door panel

- Behind the kick panel in front of the driver's side door

- The stereo wiring

its probably easier to remove the stereo first and check the connection than to remove the door panel.. correct? how does the stereo come out? is there a step-by-step somewhere on the web?

If it's the factory stereo, it's pretty easy. Park the Jeep with the gear selector in first (automatic) or 2nd/4th (manual). Remove the kick panel under the steering column (two screws at its base, then pop out the clips holding it in at the top). Remove the bezel around the stereo and heater controls (six clips, it just pops out). Once that's out, you should be able to just unscrew the stereo from the dashboard frame.

Back