• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilding rear end dana 35

88xj said:
I am looking at rebuilding my rear end has anyone done this? And, how hard is it to do?
What is wrong iwth it? are we talking only bearings and seals or are the gears shot?
ALso is your D35 cclip or non cclip? Cause seals and bearings are at different locations for both (to check if cclip or not take of the drum and look if you have 4 bolts holding down the retainer plate which is holding the axle in.... don't get fooled by the Dana35C imprint on the axle as that stands for xutom)

I'm not sure yet. It is making a clunk from the rear if I hit the gas harder while it is moving. It is also making a noise at lower speeds. I changed the oil in the diff. not long ago...

88xj said:
I'm not sure yet. It is making a clunk from the rear if I hit the gas harder while it is moving. It is also making a noise at lower speeds. I changed the oil in the diff. not long ago...
Chekc driveshaft ujoints, check springs for axle wrap, check rear motor mount se if it isn't too "soft"

88xj said:
it doesn't have axle wrap or bad u-joints I'll check the rear engine mount.
Well if you're already moving and there is a certain amount of gas applied and then you gun it and it clunks I don't think it's anything internal in the axle cause things are already engaged (unless you got an automatic locker in there)
Anyways, how did you check for axle wrap? Did you have someoen stand next to the vehicle or behind it and look at the axle as you took off?

I thought that you could just look at the springs and tell if I was getting axle wrap. I'll have someone watch as I take off. The clunk I get is when I am going down the road then I let off the gas and then come back into it. It doesn't do it while I am taking off.

Last edited:
88xj said:
I thought that you could just look at the springs and tell if I was getting axle wrap. I'll have someone watch as I take off. The clunk I get is when I am going down the road then I let off the gas and then come back into it. It doesn't do it while I am taking off.
What happens is that they are looking good when sitting in a normal positon but if they're "Worn" they will let the axle wrap when extra force is applied (power given to the axle)

BornAgainXJer said:
Where is the rear motor mount located?
On the crossmember under the transmission

BornAgainXJer said:
Oh that's what I figured u meant. How do you know if it's worn out or not; other then visual inspection?
I think the offical check is a prybar: if you put it in and can pry the transmission up that means it's soft, worn and sagging.

88xj said:
So, would I have to replace the leaf springs to fix that?
If they're not sagging just wrapping then look into a traction bar. Also if you use lift blocks remove them and replace them with either AAL to retain height or a longer shackle (keep in mind the change in angles though when you do that).

i'm looking at doing the same thing with my rear end....it's got the posi-track and i believe it's a non c-clip axle......to check, the 4 bolts holding the retainer plate in.... i have two brackets on either side of main gear unit, over the bearing races, each with a top and bottom bolt......c-clip, or non?

i've got the axle completely apart except the pinion rod and gear and alla that....and the ring gear unit isn't apart either....but it's out of axle housing...

the reason i feel the need of rebuild....the axle is out of an 1989 XJ laredo w/ factory towing package, 2WD.....and it's been sitting for about a year....before it began it's year long sit there had been a whining in the rear end....probly for the last 3-4 years of it's life of being driven. the whining could be heard at almost all speeds (more noticable under 35-40) when coasting........tried to track it down as passenger side wheel bearing....but after tearing the axle apart all bearing looked alright.....but pinion rod is kinda rough and makes a little noise when turned by hand....so i'm pretty sure thats the culpret.....and i want to swap this axle with the crappy limited slip (i think thats what it's called) aka, one-wheel-drive, thats under my 1990 xj

to make the story a little better on on this axle's history....it was my parent's jeep....bought new so i know the entire history of it..or we as a family do, lol..........but since back in the day dad was the all-knowing mechanic, the Diff fluid as NEVER been changed......he was under some belief that if you wait too long to chage the diff fluid, it'll all mess up because of some reason with the viscosity change....*shrugs* i have no clue....lol

SOOOOOO............after that lengthy explanation......we go back to the original question that started this tread. i've never done this before...since i'm not regearing or anything i don't think theres any need to change shims....but i'll need a new crush washer, right? i plan on replacing all bearings and seals in the entire axle....
would someone mind giving me (somewhat detailed) instructions and tools needed.....or direct me to a write up?????
thanks...

This calls for a nomination!

Back