• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft Question

hjeepxj

#OCDINK
NAXJA Member
I just put a 4.10 front end into my XJ (has 3.55s) and Im going to need to get it alligned and then drive it to get the gears installed in the rear. I don't feel like hassling with the dshaft (rapidly running out of time) will it hurt it to keep it in 2wd w/the dshaft still in? Or do I need to take it out? Im running the NP231 Tcase.

Next Question, will front standard rotation gears (from a waggy) work in my rear 44?

As long as you don't shift into 4x4 you will be OK. But if you do, expect some serious noise, and possible transfer case destruction.

FrankNBrew said:
As long as you don't shift into 4x4 you will be OK. But if you do, expect some serious noise, and possible transfer case destruction.

Thats what I was thinking.

Anyone else?

Yep, to both.

On the gears, if you're not swapping the carrier also, make sure you have the correct sized carrier for the ring gear in the rear.

Derik

The only thing you need to know is...DON'T PULL THE HANDLE! :nono:
That being said, I'd probably pull the driveshaft. If something breaks or comes off on your t-case linkage, it could get ugly QUICK!
That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it... ;)

DaffyXJ said:
Yep, to both.

On the gears, if you're not swapping the carrier also, make sure you have the correct sized carrier for the ring gear in the rear.

Derik

I've got all the carrier and crap like that, just wanted to know about running 4.10s front 3.55s rear... ;)

BillR said:
The only thing you need to know is...DON'T PULL THE HANDLE! :nono:
That being said, I'd probably pull the driveshaft. If something breaks or comes off on your t-case linkage, it could get ugly QUICK!
That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it... ;)

hmm, that is something to think about. But it is only to the place where Im getting my gears installed (5 or so miles...)

hjeepxj said:
hmm, that is something to think about. But it is only to the place where Im getting my gears installed (5 or so miles...)
It SHOULDN'T hurt anything provided the t-case doesn't get shifted somehow... :eek:
For instance, I know there's a way to flat-tow by shifting into neutural at the t-case. But I wouldn't do it to mine because I'd be a basket case wondering if that last bump I hit somehow moved the linkage. :eyes:
As you know, I'm pretty anal about mine. You'll probably be fine leaving the shaft in, but I'd pull it if it was me. Heck, it's only 8 bolts!

Flat towing in t-case neutral only works if you have the same ratio front and rear. The NP231 actually connects the front and rear shafts when in neutral. I have to drop my rear shaft when I tow dolly my rig.

From what I hear the Terra 2low option gives you a true neutral but that's only rumor.

If you are going to flat tow, leave it in 2wd and put the tranny in neutral. Don't pull it too far or too fast since the rear shaft on the tranny will be spinning and all newer trannys have a front shaft driven pump and no rear shaft driven pump, so you will have no lubrication ont the rear bearings.

old_man said:
Flat towing in t-case neutral only works if you have the same ratio front and rear. The NP231 actually connects the front and rear shafts when in neutral. I have to drop my rear shaft when I tow dolly my rig.

From what I hear the Terra 2low option gives you a true neutral but that's only rumor.

If you are going to flat tow, leave it in 2wd and put the tranny in neutral. Don't pull it too far or too fast since the rear shaft on the tranny will be spinning and all newer trannys have a front shaft driven pump and no rear shaft driven pump, so you will have no lubrication ont the rear bearings.

Man,your way out there on this one!The front output "is" not connected when the XF case is in neutral and the oil pump is driven off the rear output shaft and works when the rear driveshaft is spinning(including towing)!

Back