• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 to NP242 swap

Dr. Dyno

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone done this swap on a 4.0 XJ with an AX15 5-speed? If so, was it straightforward and are there any "gotchas" to look out for?
I have a '92 XJ with a 4.6L stroker and I'd like the option of full-time 4WD for better traction on dry pavement, especially when I want to make a fast launch from a standing start without spinning the rear wheels.

Estimated 263hp/323lbft, best 1/4 mile [email protected] before stroker install
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

i went from a 242 to a 231 on my xj with an aw4 auto and it bolted right up i was even able to use the stock 4wd shifter and linkage , but i think the 242 is a weaker case :D

I did that very swap and I'm very glad I did. It's pretty much a bolt in. The things to watch out for are:

1. The input splines, 21 or 23. In general older XJs have the 21, newer have the 23 but you really need to verifiy what you have before picking up the new t-case. My '95 has the 23.

2. The t-case shifter gate and indicator are different, which is kind of obvious since now you have Full Time. You'll have to pick those up or shift the t-case by feel.

3. You will proabably lose the dash indicator lights. I ended up whipping out the old FSM and running new wires to get the lights working again. Purely a nicety.

Also, my '95 didn't have the vacuum disconnect to worry about so you may have to deal with the vacuum switch if you have the disco.

Mine went in without a hitch, other than the dash lights. I got the t-case shifter gate and indicator from the guy I got the 242 from.

Some people said I would feel a lot of slop with the 242 AX-15 combo from the center diff of the 242 but I haven't noticed anything bad about the swap at all. Much better handling on the street when it's snowy, icy, etc.

I'm very pleased.

Back