• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can you still order new headliners at the dealership?

I found a mint condition headliner in a junk yard for 30 or 35 bucks and I even got the sound bar. I think you would be looking for a 96 and below since I think they changed body styles in 97.

90Pioneer said:
Does the dealership still sell new headliners, with all insulation/padding (if any), for '96 XJs?

Yep ... I just bought a new headliner from Mopar last year for my '91. If you buy one make sure you open the huge box they ship it in and inspect it. After dragging that thing home I opened it and found wrinkles in the backer board ... had to drag that thing all the way back to the dealer for an exchange.

Also ... don't expect to find matching material for the visors and or the overhead console. I'm still searching for that ! Haven't had much luck.

The installation is fairly simple if you have four arms ... I improvised.

bchulett said:
Yep ... I just bought a new headliner from Mopar last year for my '91. If you buy one make sure you open the huge box they ship it in and inspect it. After dragging that thing home I opened it and found wrinkles in the backer board ... had to drag that thing all the way back to the dealer for an exchange.

Also ... don't expect to find matching material for the visors and or the overhead console. I'm still searching for that ! Haven't had much luck.

The installation is fairly simple if you have four arms ... I improvised.
kind of curious... how much do they charge for them? :D

I think the 97' and up have a fiberglass backing. I was trying to run some wires above the headliner and ended up with ichy arms for a week. The stuff behind the cloth on 97's isn't foam at all. Just a random note, I know we are talking about a 96'. I know that my dad had the headliner reglued on our 87'. I don't think it cost that much.

Kejtar said:
kind of curious... how much do they charge for them? :D

I believe it was $160 .. I'll have to check my invoice tonight to verify.

I think the 97' and up have a fiberglass backing. I was trying to run some wires above the headliner and ended up with ichy arms for a week. The stuff behind the cloth on 97's isn't foam at all. Just a random note, I know we are talking about a 96'. I know that my dad had the headliner reglued on our 87'. I don't think it cost that much.

Mine is a '91 and it has a "formed" backing and a layer of fiberglass insulation with mesh. You can pull the thing out and reglue if you wish. I looked in to this and there are NO guarantees it will hold---especially if the backer board is cooked, brittle and wrinkled from the heat over the years.

An upholsterer wants about $100 bucks to do this .... and they will probably crease the headliner doing it... which will create a void in adhesion with the new cloth and the drooping process will start all over again.

That's what was wrong with the first one I bought---and it was new.

Spend the extra $60 and inspect it for creases and adhesion.... you'll be glad you did it.

Regards.

bchulett said:
I believe it was $160 .. I'll have to check my invoice tonight to verify.

Mine is a '91 and it has a "formed" backing and a layer of fiberglass insulation with mesh. You can pull the thing out and reglue if you wish. I looked in to this and there are NO guarantees it will hold---especially if the backer board is cooked, brittle and wrinkled from the heat over the years.

An upholsterer wants about $100 bucks to do this .... and they will probably crease the headliner doing it... which will create a void in adhesion with the new cloth and the drooping process will start all over again.

That's what was wrong with the first one I bought---and it was new.

Spend the extra $60 and inspect it for creases and adhesion.... you'll be glad you did it.

Regards.

Correction ...

Damn, that OEM headliner was $294. :shocked:

I can't remember paying them that much ... I've got so much money into the XJ, everything just starts blending together. :scared:

Spend the extra $194 ? ... your call.

I was lucky to find one out of a '99 at the junkyard - with the speakers - for $20. It fit perfectly into my '88XJ.
===
* I used the visors from the '99 (the 3-screw hole pattern is the same).
* I also used the newer visor retaining clips because the newer visors were shorter.
* I also cut a square hole in the liner between the two visors - to fit in my wireless doorlock sensor.
* I also ran extra wires for the speakers to work.
* However, the dimensions of the liner were the same - no other modifications were necessary.

You can also look in the fabric or craft stores, some of them carry headliner material. The spray glue can be bought at parts stores.

--Matt

great step by step procedure, with nice pics.
thanx

Do it yourself. Cost me 40 bucks for materials and 2 hours to do it. That was two years ago and its still perfectly fine.

Mike

Last edited:
Actually the headliner in my '96 is in perfect condition. I was thinking about getting one that is pre cut for an overhead console I may install.

BTW, I have had zero problems matching interior colors.

90Pioneer said:
Actually the headliner in my '96 is in perfect condition. I was thinking about getting one that is pre cut for an overhead console I may install.

BTW, I have had zero problems matching interior colors.

Well, I do remember that they don't come pre cut ... you have to use your old one as a template and cut the holes yourself---for the overhead console, visors, rear shoulder harnesses and cargo light.

Here's an idea for ya: Buy one in the bone yard that has the holes and use it for a template to cut the perfect one you already have.

Also, please enlighten me about your secret about matching interior colors. I've been to four automotive upholstering shops ... and zero of them have been successful in locating the OEM material and color to match my headliner that originally came with my 13 year old XJ .

Unless you have black interior, its a long shot due to differences in dye lots.

Back