• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fed up with gas gauge!

Gridikal

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, Gotta 97 here and I've lived with the wrong fuel gauge reading long enough- been using trip meter to tell when i needed gas-grrrrrr. Anyway I know theres a recall and have never been to a dealer to have anything like that done- should i have any cost to me whatsoever? and anything i need to know or to look out for when I take it to them to have it done?

just get used to it i think everyones gas gauage is off, mine is 1.4 off and its getting worse. And yes everyone just uses the trip meter to tell when they need gas.

Just go to the Jeep web site, and then look for the contact us icon, and then look for the recall section there is a number to call or you can put in your VIN and maybe your mileage and it will or they will tell you whats been done and what needs to be done, Had the same problem on my 97 if the guage says 1/4 tank your out I would give that a try
Mitch

The 97 XJs have a problem with the gas tank sending unit which is attached to the fuel pump can be replaced separately, but most of the time the dealer will replace the pump and sender together.... The problem is due to cracks in the surface that the sending unit arm swipes across...
My 98 has the same problem, but my VIN is not listed in the recall so I am stuck with the problem until it comes time to replace the fuel pump.

Charles

I have noticed my 98 has the same damn problem, where do you go to see if your VIN is listed? I know there is a sight out there, but I don't remember. TIA

The 98's are NOT part of it, the reacall, though you know damn well they used the same pump and sender assemblies, at least on my 98 which was assembled in Oct of 97. Ticks me off as much as those cheap ass evaporators they used.
I've owned EIGHT new vehicles, all driven for over 5 years and this Jeep is the FIRST vehicle I have EVER had to replace an evaporator on...

Rich P,

My 98 XJ was built in August 97 and has A LOT of 97 components.... such as a heavy duty 2 core aluminum radiator (97 part numbers).....
I removed and replaced it with a Modine HD 2 core after the plastic tank seals started leaking at temperatures below 45*.

Charles

just so you know, and this may have been said already(topic got a little of track), if there is a factory recall, there is no charge to you. You take it there, tell them you recieved the recall, and that's it. I used to be a mech at jeep (no longer) so i thought i would give you so input...

CharlesS said:
Rich P,

My 98 XJ was built in August 97 and has A LOT of 97 components.... such as a heavy duty 2 core aluminum radiator (97 part numbers).....
I removed and replaced it with a Modine HD 2 core after the plastic tank seals started leaking at temperatures below 45*.

Charles

JMO but 'Recall's should include part numbers too.

Back