• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Triangulated traction/trackbar type thingy.....

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I really need a traction bar and I really need to find a way to keep my rear leafs from sideshifting when off-camber. With these two goals in mind, I was thinking about running a triangulated link from the top of the diff to a crossmember on the frame. Although not the best type of traction bar, I believe it would help substantially.

Basically it would mount to the top of the diff with a JJ with the bolt axis parrallel to the axle tubes and would then Y off towards the two frame rails forming an A-arm of sorts. This I think would limit wrap and also keep the axle centered. This past weekend I was getting a good 2-3" of sideshift out of my leafs which is why I was thinking about the triangulated approach as opposed to a typical traction bar.

What do you guys think? If designed with the proper mounting points(taking into account roll axis, anti-squat and all that other fancy stuff) and such do you think it would work? or is there some fatal flaw in my thinking? Thanks

Ary

P.S. I really don't want to get tooooo complicated, such as building mounts and crossmembers, but if getting the right geometry involves getting into the passenger compartment and what not, I'll pass and just go with a standard traction bar setup.

sounds good if there is the clearance underneath to fit it in the right spot. You want the bar to be roughly parrallel (from the side view) to the front half of the leaf, and the same length. figure out where that puts the crossmember and see if there's room.

I think I was asleep when I added that PS. I meant to say that adding mounts and crossmembers was fine, but I didn't want to go to the extent of getting into the passenger compartment.

Brett, I'll have to get under there and check out room and clearance. There is already a mount on the axle from the PO which is convenient.

Ary

It should work, you just have to remember that the forward facing part of the leafs are your lower links when you do all of your calculations. That means your upper links should be short enough to not go into the passanger compartment. IMO you are already building half of a link suspension so why not build 2 more links and weld on some coil buckets?

bad idea in my opinion.

but anyway...I don't think you have a real problem at all. Tighten up your u-bolts, replace your spring center pins (I bet they're bent or even broke), and replace your bushings....if rubber is no good, go to poly all around. If you think poly will limit flex, just think how much your "traction bar" idea will limit it.

If you have a double shackle or revolver set-up....get them off now.

I can't see you having a problem with side movement of the axle....people run front leaf springs without a trac bar, and there aren't any major problem.

I think you are complicating a problem you really shouldn't have. _nicko_

CW said:
It should work, you just have to remember that the forward facing part of the leafs are your lower links when you do all of your calculations. That means your upper links should be short enough to not go into the passanger compartment. IMO you are already building half of a link suspension so why not build 2 more links and weld on some coil buckets?

Cause I just finished getting my Jeep back together and still have tons of fine-tuning to do before I embark on another large project. Also if I tear the thing apart in my parents driveway one more time I believe I will be disowned permanently :doh:

Ary

nicko, the first thing I'm going to do is replace my leafs. I currently have Rusty's 4.5" leafs with a 2.5" AAL, a 2" block, and a 1" shackle that is in total netting me about 6". The rusty's springs are TOAST(I just added the blocks very recently so they didn't cause the problem, they're the temporary fix until I get new springs). I'm planning to put on RE 4.5" spring with the shackle and see how things are. I may also drop the shackle mount down like you and Crash have done. Once I get that done I'll see where I'm at. I just wanted to get the idea posted before I forgot and while it was still fresh in my head.

Ary

Back