• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Schizophrenic Death Wobble

4ESTJP

NAXJA Forum User
My Cherokee drives perfect in the morning when it is cold outside, but when I drive home from work in the afternoon the death wobble returns. I followed the go-jeep method of allignment and pinion angle. I thinking the heat from the day might expand the metal lca's to make them longer?? Is that possible? Any help would be appreciated.

4ESTJP said:
My Cherokee drives perfect in the morning when it is cold outside, but when I drive home from work in the afternoon the death wobble returns. I followed the go-jeep method of allignment and pinion angle. I thinking the heat from the day might expand the metal lca's to make them longer?? Is that possible? Any help would be appreciated.

Highly unlikely. Its more like the temp of the tires maybe.

You may have a broken belt in your tire.

4ESTJP said:

One word, tires. They are affected be the tempature.

I had the same issue years ago. It was the poly bushing in the adjustable track bar (Rusty's). When the temp got over 80 degrees the poly got soft. I corrected it by drilling out the poly bushing and inserting a larger diameter sleeve inside the bushing. This got rid of alot of slop.

Its always an adventure trying to change lanes at 60mph and having the front end of my XJ start dancing a jig :woohoo: Once I get past 65mph, then I dont need to worry any more. Wierd that it only happens at that one speed when i hit a bump just right :dunno:

I'll try rotating my wheels and checking the tire pressure. I don't know the brand of adjustable track bar I have? It came on the jeep when I bought it. How would I go about checking the poly and the bushing for the track bar?

4ESTJP said:
I'll try rotating my wheels and checking the tire pressure. I don't know the brand of adjustable track bar I have? It came on the jeep when I bought it. How would I go about checking the poly and the bushing for the track bar?

Lay under the vehicle while someone else cranks the steering back and forth. Look for play at either end. Post a pic of the trackbar and someone will be able to identify it.

I have a similar theory, mine "acts" better in cooler weather too. I am trying to convince myself that is it not only the tires that are affected by the heat but also the steering stabilizer. It would seem to me that the oil in the shock becomes "thinner" in the heat and reduces its dappening ability. I don't have as many problems with DW in the winter.

Glad I am not alone. my wobbles more after a few miles down the road when I get out and crawl under grease is dripping from the ball joint end of my trac bar out of the grease fitting. any input would be appreciated
:skull2:

I replaced my 196k+ stock steering stabiliser yesterday and the front end feels much better now. Still somewhat jittery, like its trying to start dancing around still. I think my next step in my quest to cure the DW is to replace the stock track bar frame mount with an RE HD one and a matching RE HD track bar.

SGT said:
I am trying to convince myself that is it not only the tires that are affected by the heat but also the steering stabilizer. It would seem to me that the oil in the shock becomes "thinner" in the heat and reduces its dappening ability.

Remember your shocks also work this way. I played around with this on my old rig. Had death wobble with RS9000s on 1, no death wobble with them set on 5. hmmm

Back